Low oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbrt43

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mechanic said that the oil was fairly clean, this time, when he drained it. Since there is obvious wear new oil and filter are going back together.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mechanic said that the oil was fairly clean, this time, when he drained it. Since there is obvious wear new oil and filter are going back together.
Wait… I hope he’s completely rebuilding it because the cam bearings are probably shot if the mains look like that, and they can’t be replaced unless he is completely disassembling it. If they’re not replaced you still won’t get good oil pressure.

rbrt43

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes. It's getting new cam, rod, and main bearings. One of the cam bearings had spun, but there is no damage to the cam.

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was able to drop my oil pan and I'm pretty sure I found the source of the low oil pressure. The pick up tube screen was completely covered with gunk. The bottom of the oil pan was full of sludge. My pick up tube o-ring seemed in pretty good shape but obviously I replaced it anyway. Cleaned the tube. Cleaned the oil pan. Pulled the plate off the bottom of the engine below the crank and cleaned that. Clearly this engine didn't have the best maintenance. Put it all back together and now my oil pressure is back up and running good.
You typed the words right off my post on a similar thread. Exact same problem: SLUDGE! Cleaned out the pan & screen...didn't need the O-ring but did it at that point. Pressure back to normal.

rbrt43

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well finally got my Tahoe back after my almost complete rebuild with a new crank and bearings all the way around. Pressure is good. Haven't driven it much but it's a little rough at idle. I've never had an engine rebuild before so I am not sure if this is common or not. Mechanic indicated it was and that it should go away after driving it for a bit.

Any input about this?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157