Low engine temp on cold days

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hippie459MN

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
Off to fix my thermostat. I will report back when I get it all fixed and fully tested.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blow me, all of you, :) ....and if he has air in there and not the right mix of 50/50 itll run cool. Ok he prob does need a thermostat ill give you that, but i bet its got more water than antifreeze or some shit like that. Who calls it fluid and not coolant/antifreeze anyway? Nobody wants to bust my balls about that? So i was typing fast and i really don’t gaf and btw, you 2 can each lick a nut. @Doubeleive and @HiHoeSilver ;)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blow me, all of you, :) ....and if he has air in there and not the right mix of 50/50 itll run cool. Ok he prob does need a thermostat ill give you that, but i bet its got more water than antifreeze or some shit like that. Who calls it fluid and not coolant/antifreeze anyway? Nobody wants to bust my balls about that? So i was typing fast and i really don’t gaf and btw, you 2 can each lick a nut. @Doubeleive and @HiHoeSilver ;)
lol, ok relax, I was just asking for an explanation, given that explanation, do you think it's possible to put a cup of water in a radiator and then fill the rest of it with air and save the environment and water usage here in dried out cali? should run nice and cool? asking for a friend.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and don't get mad im just given ya a jibe, I am sure it is entirely possible if the mixture was mostly water that it would not be able to maintain a stable temp in extreme temperatures since the coolant is made for that purpose as well as keep it from freezing and blowing everything out but I think that would mostly apply to very hot temperatures?

OP
OP
Hippie459MN

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
Sorry took so long to get back. I got the thermostat changed. I did notice my lower radiator hose was pretty cold close to the radiator before I changed the thermostat. I havent checked it afterwards though.

So, my truck still doesnt warm up fast at an idle and the temp will go back down to about 160(ish) but very slowly now and it will get up to full operating temperature WAY faster and stay there longer before slowly dropping down a little if you idle for a bit. Also, the truck builds heat much better and much hotter. The old t-stat was bad, it was rated at 187 deg F but was opening was sooner than that. But the low idle temp I am chalking up to it being -20 F outside at this point. Once it actually warms up outside here I am going to do a full flush on the entire system.

Happy New Year.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With below temps put a piece of card board in front of the radiator. Works great, remove when it warms up.
Yes, was going to mention this too but @Doubeleive and @HiHoeSilver would have freaked out on me. Do this with diesels at work.
;)

Also, you can run more antifreeze in the mix almost 80/20 or 90/10 and it will run hotter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts