Loving my E85 right now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
opfor2

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. It cleans very well and leaves virtually zero carbon deposits. There is anecdotal evidence that extremely short drives, without getting to operating temps could degrade your oil, as with any fuel. Regular oil changes will negate that potential.
What would on consider "Short Drives?"

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Onlyone No worries man I think we all knew what you were getting at lol.

For me I think the mileage difference between E85 and Premium is greater than just 2mpg. I will use your 30% rule of thumb to figure out if it would be worth it because I live in Northern California so gas prices are similar to the example given earlier in this thread.

I think with e85 I was getting about 12mpg @ 70mph and with premium I usually get about 16mpg.

E85 has 27% less energy, so it takes 27% more of it to equal E0. Most fuels are at least E10 and most E85 is actually much less, in the 50s to 60s percentiles. So this narrows that 27% spread. It's just easier to quick math it at 30% and figure for the worse. You can expect a max of 30% reduced fuel economy (actually ~25%). But, if the price of E85 is around 30% (or ~25%) lower than 91-93 E0/E10, then you're coming out ahead, never mind the cleaning benefits.

Estimating an actual of less than 85% ethanol and, therefore, not losing the full 27%, lets rough it at a 25% loss in MPG. That 12MPG on E85 is right in line with your non-E85 16MPG. I'm sure that E85 was more than 25% cheaper than 91-93 E0/E10.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver Interesting so your results suggest that E85 only needs to be 21% cheaper to run for it to break even, if E85 is 30% cheaper than 91 then I would be saving money running E85.

Does running E85 have any downsides of running it? Does it shorten the life of components?

You guys about sold me on E85, I'll look into getting a fresh set of O2 sensors because I understand that's how the Tahoe reads ethanol content.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does running E85 have any downsides of running it? Does it shorten the life of components?
So long as you let the engine spend at least 30min or more at operating temp, the only downside I can think of is that ethanol cold winter startups take up to two seconds longer than gasoline cold winter startups, even given the fact that E85 in winter is really E50 or some lesser percentage.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver Interesting so your results suggest that E85 only needs to be 21% cheaper to run for it to break even, if E85 is 30% cheaper than 91 then I would be saving money running E85.

You guys about sold me on E85, I'll look into getting a fresh set of O2 sensors because I understand that's how the Tahoe reads ethanol content.
Just shorter range per tank of fuel. The engines love the stuff and once adapted to it after 5 or so tankfulls, even the transmission performs better.

In cold weather, the first remote start usually stalls on E85, the second attempt takes hold. We've also had E85 sit in a near empty tank for months, make only short runs down the street, etc. No issues with water or whatever people complain about.

Just make sure you have OE oxygen sensors that are under 100K miles or so or convert to an actual sensor like Chris did.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just shorter range per tank of fuel. The engines love the stuff and once adapted to it after 5 or so tankfulls, even the transmission performs better.

In cold weather, the first remote start usually stalls on E85, the second attempt takes hold. We've also had E85 sit in a near empty tank for months, make only short runs down the street, etc. No issues with water or whatever people complain about.

Just make sure you have OE oxygen sensors that are under 100K miles or so or convert to an actual sensor like Chris did.
If you haven't been running E85 prior to 100k is it best not to run it after unless O2 sensors have been changed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019