Lost communication with everything, can lines shorted together.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So last August I had a weird electrical issue that I thought was a fluke. Turns out it's back. Last August as I was sitting at the drive thru window my dash started doing the lost comms dance. Service abs, taction control, 4wd, etc, service the world. The truck sat in my garage for a week while the ecm I ordered was mailed to me. Turns out that wasn't the issue. When the new emc arrived I tried the original for ***** and giggles and it worked. No further issues. New ecm sat in the shelf, still there now.
Fast forward to today, much worse. I have the service the world messages on the dic, hard shifts, no power, brought it in the garage now it doesn't start and no comms with any module.
Fuse box under the hood had water under it, where the connectors are. Pulled the fuse board apart and cleaned some minor surface corrosion. Fuse box cradle also swapped from another truck and same issues.
Ohms test between can high and can low on obd port show 0 ohms (dead short).
Pulled the splice pack connector under the dash and removed the comb to isolate modules from can network. No communication with anything at any point using a tech 2.
Now the fun part. Standing at the workbench going through schematics... wtf is burning? Look around, smoke rolling from exterior passenger wheel well. Yank the battery negative and dive underneath to follow the smoke. Previous owner had z55 autoride deleted and resistors at all 4 corners were installed where the shocks should be. Well the resistor for the passenger rear was cooked. Melted electrical tape and all. Cut the resistor out and no more smoke.
This is as far as I got. Next step is pull out the suspension computer over the spare tire and maybe that module is gone. If anyone has any useful information please let me know. I think I got the major points but I may add more to the story later.

OP
OP
Coolman1987us

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the splice pack, I found the main can bus splice pack with the white comb that has 2 rows of 5 or 6 pins. I also found a splice pack not far from the first with 4 green wires and a green comb. Anyone know what this 4 wire splice pack is for? I couldn't find it in the schematics but I haven't dug much farther yet.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good luck. I hate can stuff, non of the test points are eazy to access. it's always a hassle

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
water in the fuse box could have done all kinds of other damage, did you take it swimming or something? missing a splash guard?

OP
OP
Coolman1987us

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
water in the fuse box could have done all kinds of other damage, did you take it swimming or something? missing a splash guard?
2 inches of rain in 2 days I guess, big puddles? Really not sure how water got under the fuse box. I cleaned out the board it wasn't that bad really just surface corrosion, I've seen much worse. I'm worried about what may have been exposed to voltage it shouldn't have. I think everything fused in that box is 12 volts so once corrected it shouldn't be too bad. I drilled holes so the water can't collect anymore.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 inches of rain in 2 days I guess, big puddles? Really not sure how water got under the fuse box. I cleaned out the board it wasn't that bad really just surface corrosion, I've seen much worse. I'm worried about what may have been exposed to voltage it shouldn't have. I think everything fused in that box is 12 volts so once corrected it shouldn't be too bad. I drilled holes so the water can't collect anymore.
is anything else still wet? that could be an issue

OP
OP
Coolman1987us

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dried the fuse box out and tried another fuse box cartridge altogether and no change. I'm going to check the suspension module next chance I get, maybe in the morning.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dried the fuse box out and tried another fuse box cartridge altogether and no change. I'm going to check the suspension module next chance I get, maybe in the morning.
I would check the ecm also, usually those somehow manage to get wet more than a fusebox

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan