Looking for tires...suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea ok.. but still you should want ROUND tires lol

when people ask me what kind of tires we have i always reply hexagonal and square we are fresh out of round ones.. and there facial reactions are hilarious..

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I'm sold on the 420's. Figuratively. I haven't heard back from Rims4Less yet. I'm planning on running a separate set of winters too, and once again Ian, sorry, but I like your style too much to let you be the only one running 17" black steelies when the snow flies.

Then let me point you in the right direction. Cragar soft 8 wrapped in Blizzaks dmv1 snow tires. I can get around in the snow pretty easily without the need for 4wd

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3978860

OP
OP
VTburban

VTburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then let me point you in the right direction. Cragar soft 8 wrapped in Blizzaks dmv1 snow tires. I can get around in the snow pretty easily without the need for 4wd

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3978860

I've actually already picked up a set of stock steelies, painted them black, and am applying the last clear coat tonight. I found a sick deal on a barely used set of winterforces locally, so thats probably what I'll use this winter. The guys up here with Tacomas and Tundras use Coopers in the winter and say they never have to use 4wd either, a pretty good endorsement from NH and VT truck owners.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went with the factory Bridgestones when I got my 22"s, since they were pretty decent in stock 20" form. Bit, I have to say that I'm not in love with the profile or sidewall appearance. Any of you 420s folks have some good pics of the sidewall? Would you say that the shoulder is more squared off or rounded?

Finally, any of you use your 420s in the snow? I've got to have winter traction.

Thanks!

IMG_1743.jpg

It is kinda squared off but rounded as well... I have AWD so i'm sure that's helping me in the snow but I bought mine right at the start of this past winter and they worked GREAT in the snow as Denver, CO got a LOT of snow this year.

natetech

Reaction score
... as Denver, CO got a LOT of snow this year.

Uhh... not trying to be snarky, but having lived here since I was 4...

Denver got bupkis for snow this year. Nada. Zilch.

NOAA says 22.8 inches officially, which is 1/3 of an average year of 60" in the city.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/bou/?n=ensosnow

If you thought this year was a lot of snow, hang on for a real snow year! :)

March '03 was the last significant blizzard with heavy snowfall. There's been one or two medium snowfall blizzards since, but nothing like that one.

I made the mistake of parking a Jeep Cherokee at the back end of my driveway that goes to the detached garage in the back yard, that year. :(

2 days later, after knocking the drifts down with the 26" John Deere two-stage snowblower in stages, it was able to crawl up on top of the plowed out strip and make it to the street in 4WD Low -- with BFG All-Terrain KO's, but not the tire chains on it.

Third day, the snow load collapsed the 43' x 13' steel awning on the back of the house and knocked the electric meter clean out of the socket on the box. There was too much up there to safely attempt to clear it. A ladder would have gotten you there only to find yourself shoveling while waste-deep from an unstable roof that would probably collapse under your added weight.

That!... was a snow year.

This year was nothin'. Nothing at all. ;)

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's my first year there but everyone that lives there told me they got a lot this year compared to the past few years. I guess they were all wrong.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh it's cool thanks for the info. I'm from Louisiana and just moved to Denver last November. So it was more snow then I've ever seen in my life :)

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Felix, wait for a good storm. There was one only a few years ago where some of my friends out there were talking about 14 foot drifts covering the entrance to their RV garage. Another claimed the packed snow on his street was 2-3 feet deep. In many areas of town front end loaders were called in to clear snow because plows couldn't handle it. Iirc, this was December of 06 or 07. If you're running 420s now, I recommend getting some Terra Grapplers for the winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bevy