Looking For Advice with Valley Pan Gasket Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I guess the 6.2 doesn't have the solenoids on it? In that case why buy a new cover and just by the gaskets for 1/3 of the price??

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW, that's one expensive catch can. I spent about $40 on mine.

Before I installed the updated valve cover and did the oil consumption Technical Service Bulletin, my catch can would catch 1 oz per 100 miles. Afterwards, almost nothing between oil changes.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I’m interested to see the amount of oil in the manifold.

I’ll take your advice and swap out the driver valve cover (once I find it).

Definitely will be installing a catch can in the near future as well.

I’ve always used CRC Brakleen...is this “skim milk” to the Super Tech?

Whatever is in the manifold is just what hasn't yet made it into the cylinders.

I don't know if they still have it as an option, but I thought CRC completely went away from chlorinated brake cleaner. Maybe they've changed the formula since then, but I recall it being really weak. I didn't like the idea of paying twice as much for something half as strong. In addition to quickly cleaning, I use it for starting bonfires. So I need the flammable stuff. You just have to be extra careful when using the Super Tech, or any chlorinated cleaner for that matter. But, I'm sure you wear proper PPE when using any chemicals, riiiiiight? :)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Performed TSB 10-06-01-008M that included: changing the driver side valve cover w/# 12570427, installing deflector# 12639759 on the oil pressure relief valve, flushing/soaking all cylinders/combustion chambers w/Motor Medic solvent

There should be a write-up exclusively on this and stickied.

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Whatever is in the manifold is just what hasn't yet made it into the cylinders.

I don't know if they still have it as an option, but I thought CRC completely went away from chlorinated brake cleaner. Maybe they've changed the formula since then, but I recall it being really weak. I didn't like the idea of paying twice as much for something half as strong. In addition to quickly cleaning, I use it for starting bonfires. So I need the flammable stuff. You just have to be extra careful when using the Super Tech, or any chlorinated cleaner for that matter. But, I'm sure you wear proper PPE when using any chemicals, riiiiiight? :)

Yeah...now that you mention it the CRC is different. Didn’t look to close at it the last time I bought it. I’ll try the Super Tech stuff. I really should use my mask with that crap. At least I open the garage door. ;) Thanks for the info!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh brother...sometimes I just do dumb things! :yaoface2:

That's kinda why I was asking, but some people just like shiny new parts, even if they'll not be seen. If that new one works for you, you can easily sell your original one to someone here piecing together an AFM delete kit. There's always a "pay it forward", right? :)

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
That's kinda why I was asking, but some people just like shiny new parts, even if they'll not be seen. If that new one works for you, you can easily sell your original one to someone here piecing together an AFM delete kit. There's always a "pay it forward", right? :)

Great idea! I’ll keep that in mind!

marktrafton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah...now that you mention it the CRC is different. Didn’t look to close at it the last time I bought it. I’ll try the Super Tech stuff. I really should use my mask with that crap. At least I open the garage door. ;) Thanks for the info!
The Last time that I bought some CRC at Walmart, they had the original red can spray and the newer green can spray. I definitely recommend the original red can.

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Jason I am noticing that cover you picked does not have the solenoid assembly on it. Please be aware they are riveted on at least in my case. Don't want to see you tear it apart for nothing and be screwed like I was. Not sure about the 6.2's never messed with one.

I got to thinking more about this....what was riveted onto where? Did you have to drill the rivets out? I’m a tad confused to this as the videos I’ve watched shows the valley Pan easily pried (or is it pryed?) off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645