Looking for Advice on Replacement Shock/Spring Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your replies and perspective, folks. VERY much appreciated. This is what this Forum is all about, and what makes it a HUGE success.

After considering all of your input, I am currently leaning toward option 3.

Thanks again!! I'll report back when I make a change to the suspension.

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are some springs on rockauto that are like oem +1" (not oem) if you look at the spring options on rockauto you will see what I mean otherwise I can look later and link to them

I looked at RA, after your post, and I'm not sure which OEM +1 coils you are referring to. When it is convenient for you, can you post a part number that you are referring to?

Thanks in advance.

JGreene

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I did my conversion on our 2007 Denali I went with Moog springs and seats from RockAuto; totaled $200. Springs were part #81069 and seats were part #K160072. I also replaced the shocks with Bilstein 5100s from 4Wheel Parts (part #24-187237); totaled $400.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at RA, after your post, and I'm not sure which OEM +1 coils you are referring to. When it is convenient for you, can you post a part number that you are referring to?

Thanks in advance.
I went and looked again at a few different years and models and it looks like they no longer have them and now have added a whole bunch of oem and moog :shrug: sorry man.

ThisIsLivin

Reaction score
I replaced my magnetic ride struts and shocks on my 2015 Yukon Denali with Arnott. They use a Eilbach shock with the air leveling and the resistor to fool the computer. I love them, they are definitely better than the OEM and lifetime guarantee.

Butch Pink

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

As I was installing my new Hellwig sway bar on the rear of my 07 Yukon XL Denali, I noticed that I have a leaking rear shock. So, I need to replace the rear shocks.

When I purchased this new-to-me truck, the OEM rear air ride had already been replaced with cheap coil-over shocks. I currently have OEM coil springs, which look 'relatively' new, and I verified that they are in fact the OEM springs meant to be used with the air ride shocks, by looking at the part number tag (25783732) on one of them.

My understanding is that when the air ride is removed on these trucks, the coil springs need to be replaced with stronger springs, as the springs supplied with the air ride are weaker, as the air ride shock combo takes part of the task of supporting the weight of the truck. Is this true?

As I see it, I have 3 options available.

1. Restore the original air ride system by purchasing air ride shocks and reconnecting the compressor and all related accessories. My current feeling is that I do not want to pursue this option, as I do not know the current condition of the compressor and all or the related accessories. I do not want to go down a monetary rat hole.

2. Replace the existing coil-over shocks with a decent quality coil-over shocks, if one can be found for this truck.

3. Replace the existing coil springs with stronger coil springs, and replace the existing cheap coil-over shocks with decent quality standalone shocks.

I'd like to hear from all of you with your thoughts and perspectives. Perhaps, there are additional options beyond the three above, that I have not yet identified. In your responses, if you have specific brand/part number recommendations on the coil springs and shocks that I should be considering, I'd certainly like to see them.

Thanks in advance.
We pulled the rear air shocks on my 2007 Yukon XL Denali for Rancho RS5000 and Moog HD springs (Shock and springs are separate on my truck). I purchased the electronic bypass modules on eBay for $25 for 4. We did replace the bushings on the stock sway bar with Moog Polyurethane bushings. No issues in the back now at all.

bobsburban

Reaction score
I went with the 1250 lb Moog rear springs (pretty sure they are the Z71 spec coils noted above) and Bilstein 5100s all around. Rear was lifted 1.5 - 2", so I set the front spring perch up one notch on the front shock body. Ride is wife-approved and much improved over the blown out air ride shocks. Extra ground clearance helps with some off-road tires. I'll get the stiffer front springs if I ever hang a winch or heavy bumper on the front of the truck but saw no real need for them at this point.

Highly recommended.

Burb 3b.jpg

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your additional replies and your related experiences and recommendations. VERY much appreciated. I'll be making a final decision soon on this.

Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157