Looking for Advice on Replacement Shock/Spring Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

As I was installing my new Hellwig sway bar on the rear of my 07 Yukon XL Denali, I noticed that I have a leaking rear shock. So, I need to replace the rear shocks.

When I purchased this new-to-me truck, the OEM rear air ride had already been replaced with cheap coil-over shocks. I currently have OEM coil springs, which look 'relatively' new, and I verified that they are in fact the OEM springs meant to be used with the air ride shocks, by looking at the part number tag (25783732) on one of them.

My understanding is that when the air ride is removed on these trucks, the coil springs need to be replaced with stronger springs, as the springs supplied with the air ride are weaker, as the air ride shock combo takes part of the task of supporting the weight of the truck. Is this true?

As I see it, I have 3 options available.

1. Restore the original air ride system by purchasing air ride shocks and reconnecting the compressor and all related accessories. My current feeling is that I do not want to pursue this option, as I do not know the current condition of the compressor and all or the related accessories. I do not want to go down a monetary rat hole.

2. Replace the existing coil-over shocks with a decent quality coil-over shocks, if one can be found for this truck.

3. Replace the existing coil springs with stronger coil springs, and replace the existing cheap coil-over shocks with decent quality standalone shocks.

I'd like to hear from all of you with your thoughts and perspectives. Perhaps, there are additional options beyond the three above, that I have not yet identified. In your responses, if you have specific brand/part number recommendations on the coil springs and shocks that I should be considering, I'd certainly like to see them.

Thanks in advance.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I’d do option 3 myself. Not a fan of coilover shocks for the rear. I believe your best ride quality will be stock springs and a quality shock.

I do have a bias toward sticking with OEM engineered solutions, as I believe aftermarket is more often than not inferior. (Says the guy with a 6” lift LOL)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@PNW VietVet @Tonyrodz @Doubeleive @Miami-Dade @kbuskill @Fless @Bill 1960 @Jason in DLH @swathdiver @soulsea @Dantheman1540

Hi folks, Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations?

If not, are there any other folks here on the Forum that may be able to help out, that you could "@" to this thread?

Thanks.
there are some springs on rockauto that are like oem +1" (not oem) if you look at the spring options on rockauto you will see what I mean otherwise I can look later and link to them

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

As I was installing my new Hellwig sway bar on the rear of my 07 Yukon XL Denali, I noticed that I have a leaking rear shock. So, I need to replace the rear shocks.

When I purchased this new-to-me truck, the OEM rear air ride had already been replaced with cheap coil-over shocks. I currently have OEM coil springs, which look 'relatively' new, and I verified that they are in fact the OEM springs meant to be used with the air ride shocks, by looking at the part number tag (25783732) on one of them.

My understanding is that when the air ride is removed on these trucks, the coil springs need to be replaced with stronger springs, as the springs supplied with the air ride are weaker, as the air ride shock combo takes part of the task of supporting the weight of the truck. Is this true?

1. Restore the original air ride system by purchasing air ride shocks and reconnecting the compressor and all related accessories. My current feeling is that I do not want to pursue this option, as I do not know the current condition of the compressor and all or the related accessories. I do not want to go down a monetary rat hole.

2. Replace the existing coil-over shocks with a decent quality coil-over shocks, if one can be found for this truck.

3. Replace the existing coil springs with stronger coil springs, and replace the existing cheap coil-over shocks with decent quality standalone shocks.

I'd like to hear from all of you with your thoughts and perspectives. Perhaps, there are additional options beyond the three above, that I have not yet identified. In your responses, if you have specific brand/part number recommendations on the coil springs and shocks that I should be considering, I'd certainly like to see them.

Thanks in advance.

I’d say option 3 as well. When I retired my AutoRide I kept the same coil springs and thought it rode great. The rear shocks needed to be replaced shortly thereafter and I went with Rancho RS5000’s and it still feels like an OEM ride in my opinion (I do have 2” coil spacers, so I went with a slightly longer shock).

You can always change to a stiffer spring in the future if the original doesn’t seem right, but I think it’ll work out great with the original.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
All of this is subjective.

Are you happy with the current ride height and quality?

One option you didn't mention would be to just install a set of old school air shocks, which would operate exactly like the factory auto leveling shocks, minus the autoride dampening (which you currently don't have any way) and the automatic leveling.

Instead of hooking up the air shocks to the factory compressor you could just install a shrader valve somewhere to manually inflate or deflate the shocks as needed, like if you hooked up to a trailer or loaded up the back of the truck heavy.

The factory auto level springs will sag a little without the air shocks to back them up.

The air shocks I mentioned would definitely be the most economical way to go (less than $100) but not necessarily the best way, but it really all depends on how you use the truck and what ride characteristics are important to you.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
@Joseph Garcia, I don't know enough about the 07 and newer springs to be of help on this.

After reading what @Bill 1960 said, I have to agree with option #3. The simpler the better and I have never been a fan of coil over shocks.
I also don't know about the 900 platform--sorry, but if it was me I'd also go with option #3. Keeping it as simple as possible.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance.

If this was my 2007 Denali I would do option 3. Option 1 would definitely be a monetary rat hole IMHO.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Thanks in advance.

If I had a Denali I would maintain what it came with, Option 1.

My truck has the basic suspension and these are the part numbers if you decide on option 3: Rear Springs are 25783733/45H2164 Rear Shocks are: 25871227/540-435

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast-cheap-right