Looking for a new indash aftermarket nav unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Any body know the best in dash unit now adays.The stock unit is just not cutting it-i have the bose with a 6 disc not the nav know.
Kenwood Excelon DNX995S This seems to be the best around-your comments appreciated.I want the best quality screen i can afford.

camaroz1985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had 3 DNX units and loved them. My wife doesn't like to use her phone for navigation, so the built in Garmin Nav has been great. The good news is the new units also have Android Auto and Apple CarPlay so all your bases are covered. These headunits are capable of way more than I will ever use, but we do use it for movies for kids in the rear seats. It is nice to be able to control everything from the front seat, and then be able to listen to whatever you want while they watch their movies (we use the dual zone mode sometimes, or they use their headphones at other times, both are great and you can still hear your own music while they watch the movies).

The only thing to note is you have to pay for all map updates, they don't offer lifetime map updates like they do on the standalone nav units. They also only have one map update a year, vs 3 or 4 like you get with the standalones. Of course if you prefer to use your phone they are kept up to date and that isn't an issue, but the Garmin nav does have benefits when it comes to complex routing or looking for hotels, gas, restaurants along your route, which phones seem to struggle with.

I have had DNX9880HD, DNX691HD, and now DNX693S.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually the KENWOOD DNX875S is a better unit with more features, 995s only plays dvd's for instance where as the 875s has the ability to use sd cards, ready for steering wheel controls, has dual zone, just off the top of my head.

OP
OP
corvette744

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
actually the KENWOOD DNX875S is a better unit with more features, 995s only plays dvd's for instance where as the 875s has the ability to use sd cards, ready for steering wheel controls, has dual zone, just off the top of my head.
So i called kenwood today they told me the 995s has sd card same as 875 and ready for steering wheel controls.They said the 995 has a high def screen and the 875 doesnt.They said the clarity is amazing and diff form the 875.Also has a 2 yr warranty vs 1 year.Also the out put voltage is 5 volts vs 4 they say it sounds alot better i have no idea about that.I really like that they have a dash camera that plugs in and records form the head unit-and my back up cam will plug right in also.All this for $100.00 diff-think i might get it.Found out their is about 400 bucks of other stuff you need to buy to make it all work.Might take a while to save a little coin up.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i called kenwood today they told me the 995s has sd card same as 875 and ready for steering wheel controls.They said the 995 has a high def screen and the 875 doesnt.They said the clarity is amazing and diff form the 875.Also has a 2 yr warranty vs 1 year.Also the out put voltage is 5 volts vs 4 they say it sounds alot better i have no idea about that.I really like that they have a front camera that plugs in and records form the head unit-and my back up cam will plug right in also.All this for $100.00 diff-think i might get it.Found out their is about 400 bucks of other stuff you need to buy to make it all work.Might take a while to save a little coin up.
hmm interesting I didn't see that in the information on there website, doesn't show a sd card slot in the photos either, I guess I will have to go look again

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm interesting I didn't see that in the information on there website, doesn't show a sd card slot in the photos either, I guess I will have to go look again
I guess I had wrong information or I was looking at a different model number

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep