Looking for a 2000-2014/New member looking for a Tahoe/Yukon and some good advice for towing!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali_XL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Absolutely nuts you're right...So I appreciate and recognize all of the advice received. I found and bought a vehicle that while making some sacrifices, I know will work for my specific needs. I have purchased a 2009 Yukon with the HD trailering package (z82, K5L, KNP, etc.). With only 82k miles and 1 owner. Great condition all things considered. Unfortunately just couldn't find a Denali or XL without extraordinary mileage or 4 prior owners...Given the relatively light weight of the Jayco 184, I'm sure the 5.3 will be ok. I am honestly not towing all that much, just some small vacations with the family. I will get a sway control and WDH for safety. I also believe I need a brake controller installed as well correct? I cannot find JL1 on the build sheet, it appears as though it only says JD9/JL4. Does anyone know specifics of this?

I was in a similar position as you a year ago. Trying to decide on a tow vehicle for a Jayco X17 (GVWR 3500 lbs). I narrowed it down to either a GMC Yukon XL, 2005-06 generation or the 2008-2013 models. I found a 2005 GMC Yukon XL Denali with around 150k miles that had a rebuilt transmission for $5,500. The Z55 Autoride suspension and compressor was shot so I replaced it ($3,000), installed new head unit w/ Apple CarPlay + backup camera ($700). I really like the Denali models as they have AWD, 6.0L engines, leather + heated front and rear seats, tow package/wiring, etc. The thing is a real beast and so comfortable to drive. Later, I replaced the tires with BFGoodrich KO2's and the exhaust system with a MagnaFlow. All-in for around $10k. Considering these things now start at $75k+ brand new, I felt ok dropping $3k on just the suspension, lol.

As you mentioned, your 5.3 will do just fine towing your Jayco which looks to have around a GVWR 4,300 lbs. You definitely will want at least the sway bars. I ended up getting a set-up like this. https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/Fastway/FA92-00-0800.html

As far as brake controller, I'm not sure if your 2009 Yukon model already has the wiring in place or not. I'm guessing it likely does. My 2005 Denali already did and it so it was like a 10 min install. I had the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 installed. https://www.amazon.com/TEKONSHA-Tekonsha-Prodigy-Electronic-Trailers/dp/B00JLL1YE0/

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely nuts you're right...So I appreciate and recognize all of the advice received. I found and bought a vehicle that while making some sacrifices, I know will work for my specific needs. I have purchased a 2009 Yukon with the HD trailering package (z82, K5L, KNP, etc.). With only 82k miles and 1 owner. Great condition all things considered. Unfortunately just couldn't find a Denali or XL without extraordinary mileage or 4 prior owners...Given the relatively light weight of the Jayco 184, I'm sure the 5.3 will be ok. I am honestly not towing all that much, just some small vacations with the family. I will get a sway control and WDH for safety. I also believe I need a brake controller installed as well correct? I cannot find JL1 on the build sheet, it appears as though it only says JD9/JL4. Does anyone know specifics of this?
Congrats on your new rig! Yes, for that trailer I think the 5.3 will be fine.

I don't know the specifics of those codes, but AFAIK, all of these trucks are prewired for the trailer brake controller. Check out the videos for the Tekonsha P3 on etrailer.com - they have one for the NNBS that shows the process and how easy it is to accomplish. That's the unit I installed on my '07 and I love it.

Seapro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm currently deep into the research of buying a used Tahoe or Yukon. I have some things to consider that people here could hopefully help with. I am looking to buy a vehicle to tow a travel trailer with (21 foot, less than 3500 lbs-Jayco 184 BS). I have a $15,000 max budget. The main consideration is I do not know which is better to do, buy an older 2004-2006 with the 4 speed and around 100k miles? Or go top of budget to get a 2009-11 ish with slightly higher mileage. I am not sure of the trailering packages on them. Do all LTZ's have the trailering package? Do I even need it with a trailer that small? Some people say that 04-07 are great, others say I need to go 09+. I plan on definitely taking some longer trips with it, but still only plan on using it about 10k miles a year. Not sure if I should be nervous about getting an older model compared to a "newer" one. Any help/guidance is much appreciated! I live in southeast PA, and have a wife and 2 girls (7,6), and we plan on doing some adventuring....I used to live out west for 10 years so excited to get back there!
What ever you decide make sure you run a scan on the vehicle and check the suspension on it. I myself would go with a 6 speed transmission especially if you are towing. Make sure you have a factory tow package otherwise you have to add a transmission cooler or the vehicle will probably overheat on a long haul and fry the transmission. If the vehicle has air shocks make sure they work otherwise they are really expensive even if you replace them yourself. When you turn on the engine you should hear the air pump come on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts