Looking at getting a new AGM battery from Les Schwab.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't driven my '05 Yukon much in the last couple days... But I moved it out of the garage a fre times. ( good alternator )...... 14.3 charge..... Today my Yukon was completely dead. I think, because I forgot to turn off my dash cam.
What's the best reliable battery?? I see some have a "reserve capacity"..... Is the higher reserve, avoids a dead battery, due to me leaving the dash cam on????
Odyssey a good choice? I don't CARE how much a new battery costs, if it more reliable !!

Answer please, I want to get it today, while my battery is getting a charge....

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CA-Cranking Amps
CCA-Cold Cranking Amps
RC-Reserve Capacity -minutes

I look for batteries that have the higher amounts for these batteries... for my 2005 GMC Yukon Denali 6.0, I bought an Interstate from Costco...we have two battery choices I believe: Group 100 and Group 78
I bought the Group 78 battery for the higher numbers and curiously it was a little less money...

Group 100 - CA - 965 CCA - 800 RC - 100 minutes showing $109.99 today
Group 78 - CA - 1000 CCA - 800 RC - 110 minutes showing $99.99 today

I believe these batteries are Clarios made here in the ChicagoLand area...I would check these numbers against similar batteries from Walmart (Everstart Maxx) and other auto parts stores with various coupons etcetera...

be mindful that Costco recently changed their warranty and the AGM batteries at Walmart carry a 4 year replacement warranty which might be of interest to you...the cost difference wasn't worth it to me and the CA/CCA/RC numbers are usually a bit lower on AGMs...

the ones I posted are lead acid not AGM...good luck with your choice

Bill

Last edited:

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
CA-Cranking Amps
CCA-Cold Cranking Amps
RC-Reserve Capacity -minutes

I look for batteries that have the higher amounts for these batteries... for my 2005 GMC Yukon Denali 6.0, I bought an Interstate from Costco...we have two battery choices I believe: Group 100 and Group 78
I bought the Group 78 battery for the higher numbers and curiously it was a little less money...

Group 100 - CA - 965 CCA - 800 RC - 100 minutes showing $109.99 today
Group 78 - CA - 1000 CCA - 800 RC - 110 minutes showing $99.99 today

I believe these batteries are Clarios made here in the ChicagoLand area...I would check these numbers against similar batteries from Walmart (Everstart Maxx) and other auto parts stores with various coupons etcetera...

be mindful that Costco recently changed their warranty and the AGM batteries at Walmart carry a 4 year replacement warranty which might be of interest to you...the cost difference wasn't worth it to me and the CA/CCA/RC numbers are usually a bit lower on AGMs...

the ones I posted are lead acid not AGM...good luck with your choice

Bill
Thanks... I got one....
( An "X2 Power" ) ..Also labeled as a "Nortstar ", Group 34/78, 880 CCA, Capacity 68 AH, AGM.

4-year free replacement......

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly walmart has pretty good premium batteries and a great warranty...just keep your receipt

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For all those reading this in the future, AGM batteries were not meant for the GMT800 (1999-2007) and GMT900 (2007-2014) platforms as their charging systems were not designed for the rapid charging that an AGM battery demands. You can run them, they are just not going to last as long as they could have in a vehicle designed for them.

As of this writing, these are the batteries that GM/ACDelco recommends for the GMT900 family of SUVs and trucks:

1706032781497.png

I've had two 48PS batteries over the years, one went 48 months in a truck used primarily in Florida during that time and 68 months from a truck that spent almost all of its life in Oklahoma. I know of some Canadians with 11+ year old trucks with their original batteries still. Until RVC/EPM was introduced into our charging systems, automotive and marine batteries never lasted more than about two years down here in Florida.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly walmart has pretty good premium batteries and a great warranty...just keep your receipt
( unable to delete above reply).......

Well, if my AGM battery fails, "batteries Plus" will replace it with whatever I want..... But I tend to move my truck in & out of the garage without taking it for a drive, so, ..... I'll see if this battery holds....

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll bet you'll be fine with what you bought...I have another car right now that specs the non AGM battery and a few on the Forum for that vehicle have bought AGMs and report good service from them...

nice to see that AGM isn't required and lead acid is fine though

Bill

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 thing for long battery life? Keep them on a good AGM tender when sitting for more than a few days. Going on 6+ years in my oldest in FL heat with no hint of a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo