Looking at getting a new AGM battery from Les Schwab.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive ran my battery down once before and recently left my truck sitting for 3 weeks with a leaking radiator. Now my battery doesnt hold a charge for a week. I'm short on cash so I'll be putting a battery on my account at Les Schwab here in the PNW. Is anyone familiar with the Les Schwab branded AGM batteries? I'm choosing between a red top Optima or the Schwab AGM, both Group 78.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Unless your in a big rush I’d go on down for sound and if you need to finance it they got the same as cash 90 day options. Or affirm 3/6/12 month payment plans with very little interest

As long as you don’t have a big audio system the agm will be fine.
I plan on switching to xs power lithium cells when my battery gives out but that’s a 500+$ investment but they are supposed to last 10 years give or take and give incredible power

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive ran my battery down once before and recently left my truck sitting for 3 weeks with a leaking radiator. Now my battery doesnt hold a charge for a week. I'm short on cash so I'll be putting a battery on my account at Les Schwab here in the PNW. Is anyone familiar with the Les Schwab branded AGM batteries? I'm choosing between a red top Optima or the Schwab AGM, both Group 78.
LES SCHWAB does not manufacture battery's so it is another brand with there sticker on, just for your information. that does not mean it is a poor quality battery, most places just stick own label on them and only 2-3 company's actually make these battery's and then farm them out wholesale..

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
LES SCHWAB does not manufacture battery's so it is another brand with there sticker on, just for your information. that does not mean it is a poor quality battery, most places just stick own label on them and only 2-3 company's actually make these battery's and then farm them out wholesale..
Same with them xs power lithium cells all they are is rebranded yinlongs with a xs sticker on em

OP
OP
asand

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm aware they don't make they're own batteries, thanks. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Grey scwab branded one vs the optima? No big audio, but I do have a cb with a 100w Amp. Engine runs when I'm doing anything.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both of those are rebranded batteries. When I was needing to replace my AGM a couple of years ago, I found Walmart had the cheapest price.

Almost everyone has a rebrand on their AGM. There are only three actual manufacturers of them.

OP
OP
asand

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of those are rebranded batteries. When I was needing to replace my AGM a couple of years ago, I found Walmart had the cheapest price.

Almost everyone has a rebrand on their AGM. There are only three actual manufacturers of them.
Again, I'm aware. My ONLY question is are the rebranded AGM batteries any better or worse than the recent Mexican Optimas? I'm really trying to be polite, but that's the only question I'm asking, and the only answer I'm asking to hear.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the batteries sold by Les Schwab are made by Johnson Controls. Which is the same brand that AutoZone, and Orielly uses.

I have had good luck with AutoZone batteries, so I think you should be good.

Walmart used to sell Johnson Controls Batteries, but about 5 years ago, switched to Exide.

I always try to find a battery that has top post and side post, when replacing a battery in a side post vehicle. It just makes jump starting later, or putting on a trickle charger later, easier.

OP
OP
asand

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the batteries sold by Les Schwab are made by Johnson Controls. Which is the same brand that AutoZone, and Orielly uses.

I have had good luck with AutoZone batteries, so I think you should be good.

Walmart used to sell Johnson Controls Batteries, but about 5 years ago, switched to Exide.

I always try to find a battery that has top post and side post, when replacing a battery in a side post vehicle. It just makes jump starting later, or putting on a trickle charger later, easier.
Thanks! I wonder if Johnson Controls (Clarios) also makes the AGM batteries at Autozone and Schwabs? I've read so many negative reviews on recent Optimas I think I might go with the house brand. I cant find anything online regarding the ones sold through Schwabs, so I might just get it and post what I find here.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optima quality has gone downhill... A LOT. One of the reasons I have not switched to the AGM line.

I just go for the highest CCA, and the largest size, that will fit in a vehicle... In a lead acid flooded battery.

Usually get the same warranty, and Les Schwab still offers a warraty past the free replacement period. Usually cheaper too

Autozone, AAP, Orielly's, dont even offer that..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz