Locking and unlocking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was a year or so ago but I wonder if it's normal. I jumped out of my Tahoe and as usual hit the lock button on the door. As I was walking away I realized I didn't have my keys. I turned back to beat the timer and heard it lock. Hm. I had my sunroof wide open so I went up and over to get in. I grabbed my keys and pulled the door handle but the door wouldn't open. Okay. I hit the unlock button but it wouldn't unlock. I had to use the remote to get out.

All that to say I worry that my remote could get smashed or soaked in my pocket or the battery in the remote could die. Even if I have the key it sets off the alert system when I unlock with the key and won't start. Is this normal?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hit the unlock button but it wouldn't unlock. I had to use the remote to get out.

All that to say I worry that my remote could get smashed or soaked in my pocket or the battery in the remote could die. Even if I have the key it sets off the alert system when I unlock with the key and won't start. Is this normal?
Did you try physically pulling up the door lock knob? :p

Yes, I have noticed that the unlock button won't work when locked with the remote. I believe it's intended to keep a child or a dog from inadvertently unlocking all of the doors if locked inside for a few minutes while the driver is away from the truck. But I *have* had my remote battery die and had to unlock the truck with the key. The alarm will sound on reduced volume with shorter chimes until I put the key in the ignition and turn it to the start position. If that's not happening for you, then something seems off.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a year or so ago but I wonder if it's normal. I jumped out of my Tahoe and as usual hit the lock button on the door. As I was walking away I realized I didn't have my keys. I turned back to beat the timer and heard it lock. Hm. I had my sunroof wide open so I went up and over to get in. I grabbed my keys and pulled the door handle but the door wouldn't open. Okay. I hit the unlock button but it wouldn't unlock. I had to use the remote to get out.

1. use the unlock lever on the door
2. if the alarm is sounding and you insert the key and turn it to start, the alarm turns off
on the 2015+ if you pull the inside door handle twice it will unlock, that doesn't work on previous models
and I think they did that becasue there is virtually nothing to grab to unlock it's just a little nippille sticking out

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm. My memory is faulty. I thought I would have tried pulling up the lock button and I thought I did put the key in. But probably not.

Thanks for the advanced knowledge as usual guys!