Lifting my 99 2 door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

horrorcosmic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So can i get better shocks cheaper somewhere else?

it seems like getting parts from different places is a pretty good idea

as far as tires go should i look for a place that has a buy 3 get 1 free special? or a tire package that comes with the wheel and everything?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shop around is the best answer I can give you. The tires were a special Pro-Comp was running. But yes you can get good deals on tire and wheel packages. If you are going to go with bigger tires, I highly advise gears. 4.56 or 4.88 for 35" tires is a great fit.

Shocks: everyone has their shocks they love. You also get what you pay for. Bilsteins are a good shock and that is what I am going with soon. You do not need a dual shock up front, it is mainly for looks for the most part. A single good shock serves it's purpose just fine.

OP
OP
H

horrorcosmic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The guy at this place gave me a good deal on everything but he said the same thing, that ill need gears in the future. He said that he can get me gears for 1700 but the thing is im already pullin strings as far as money goes to get the lift kit and the tires..so i dont know what to do..

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Save and do it right. You can do the lift now and run small wider tires if you want. what gears do you have in there now 3.73 or 3.42?

OP
OP
H

horrorcosmic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How shortly after i lift it do i need to get new gears? If it can wait a year i can make up the money but it sounds like it needs to be done quick... If i get a 4 inch suspension lift on 33's will i need new gears then or is it just with the 35's?

OP
OP
H

horrorcosmic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not sure if i can do a 6 inch with 35's because i only have 7 safe inches in my garage..anything higher than that won't fit. a 4 inch on 33's would barely fit in at 7. My parents don't like the idea of parking it outside because of break ins what do you guys do?

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
You will need new gears with the 33s also. You'll be looking at a 4.56s for either application.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to run 33" on the stock 3.42, it was fine. once I got the 35" on there it needed new gears. I do hear a bunch of guys still running stock gears on 36" though. It is just tough on the tranny.

OP
OP
H

horrorcosmic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so the gears don't matter with the lift just the tires..I have 31's on there right now when i bought it from the owner he had put it on there so they're a little bigger than stock. I think i should be fine with 33's as far as gears go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts