Lifting my 99 2 door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horrorcosmic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A few of you said to come here and i'd probably find the answer to my question so here it is broken down..

i went to 4 wheel parts for a bid and they wanted 5 grand for a rancho 4 inch suspension lift and a set of four 33" BFG AT's..the guy said both of those items with installation and wheels and such would come out to 5 grand. Im graduating from high school soon and i wanted it to be a graduation gift that my parents and i would chip in on.. i was expecting a lower price since 5 grand is out of my range..my tahoe is worth 5 grand for gods sakes.

my question is.. is there a cheaper method of doing this maybe going somewhere else? my buddy thats pretty experienced with off-road vehicles and such told me not to goto 4 wheel parts. The guy at 4 wheel parts was basically implying that the tires and wheels alone would cost 3 grand. I've been to websites that have a build your own tire + wheel package and with 33"s it comes out to 1200-1500 range.

fco_gonzo

Tahoe BS Detector
Reaction score
I avoid 4wheel parts like I aviod STD's. their stuff is way over priced and they only want to sell you procomp tires and lifts. Keep looking around I paid just under $4000 for my lift, tires, wheels and labor.

btw, think I paid about 900 for wheels and 1200 for tires.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could do a Rough Country 6" lift for just under $1000 install should be somewhere are 500-600. For wheels just keep looking around 4wheel parts has some good deals some times i got my wheels for 500. and for tires you could try onlinetires.com they have some good prices. 5K is crazy. If you get some of the wheels and tire packages that you are looking at you should be able to get it all done for right around 3k all together

OP
OP
H

horrorcosmic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for responding guys,

How would i go about this through the internet? If i got the lift and everything shipped i don't know anything about lifting a truck so where would i take it in?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uh they installed my procomp 6" lift for $1600.

i walked out of the door with wheels, tires, lift, headers, and CIA for just over $3K. (jamboree deals of course, but still)

I would avoid the indianapolis IN store like the plague though.

OP
OP
H

horrorcosmic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know where else to call theres not many big 4 wheel stores in my town ( fresno california ). If you got your 6 inch procomp for 1600 with installation thats a deal. the dude wanted 2k alone for a 4 inch rancho lift and it sounded like the rest would be tires + wheels which would be 3k which is totally unrealistic.

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've actually heard some horror stories from some of my customers going to 4wheel parts and being told that they would only sell/install the lift with a package of wheels & tires, and they could only put por-comps on the wheels.

Hit up your local tire/wheel shops. Call around local mechanic shops asking if anyone has experience installing lifts. There is almost always a small 4x4 shop just outside of every city, just a matter of finding it. Wave down people with lifts and ask them where they had their work done. Dealerships will also install lifts, just an FYI.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are giving you a bunch of B/S on your quote. i will say that the shop guys up here seem to be pretty damn good at what they do. the store manager in Indy is just NOT what a store manager should be. HORRIBLE service and several calls to get my rims exchanged last time. (which i get to do again in a couple weeks...) also got a bunch of shit from him when i had to have the rear end rebuild after the second gear set they sold me was bad. (but they sold me all the new better gears and other crap at cost with a little help from Max)

but if you want i can dig out the paperwork and PM you some prices on what i payed on my lift, wheels, and tires in a week or two when all that crap gets unpacked.

honestly i would sway toward a ProComp or Dick Cepek lift. (BDS if you have the money) the rancho lift sticks you front wheels out a noticeable amount more than the rears, and the Rough country is sub par from what i have seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont