Lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing tons of horror stories about the new generation V8's lifter issues. I have an early build 2020 5.3, are these also having DOD lifter issues? I haven't seen it discussed nearly as much. Thanks.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing tons of horror stories about the new generation V8's lifter issues. I have an early build 2020 5.3, are these also having DOD lifter issues? I haven't seen it discussed nearly as much. Thanks.
To make a long story short the 2012-2020 have less issues then the earlier ones and later ones. I have 126K miles on my 2016 Tahoe and AFM is still enabled.

The main thing here is clean oil. Change your oil every 5K miles and you will probably be okay. Use 0w20 with Dexos in the 2015+.

I use either Mobil 1 Truck and SUV or Mobil 1 EP or AC Delco. All 0w20. The Truck and SUV Oil generally has to be ordered as I have never seen it on the shelve. At least in my neck of the woods. Napa will order it for you and it generally comes in the next day. The Napa by me does that.

But that is just me. To each their own.

OP
OP
Reyetwinger

Reyetwinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I order the AC Delco Dexos1 Gen2 0W/20 from Summit Racing. It's a second car for now so I don't put much mileage on it and the oil life indicator always runs down on the time way before mileage. It's probably going to be my last new vehicle as I'm not happy with the direction of anything new they're building now. My concern is that if a lifter or worse goes I would prefer to mechanically delete the all the AFM components instead of replacing what's there. I am assuming that would require some sort of adjustment to the ECM or whatever the specific computer is now called. I have a 2020 and I have been told they are not programmable in the aftermarket due to GM increasing security measures that haven't been cracked yet. It's been 2 years so maybe they will never figure it out. So basically I'm stuck with the AFM components and can't even tune the truck at this time. I drive it in M5 all the time hoping that may increase longevity.

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. Mine was down for 3 months, new motor (under warranty), just got it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts