Lifters, piston slap, or normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't hear crap on my work computer so I'll listen to the video later at the gym with headphones. If different oils don't help then I doubt a different pump will since your seeing plenty of OP. When mine would be loud it only made like 10-15psi when cold and after a minute climbed to 70+. I'd think the lifters are either not happy or that's just their nature. How much lift does the cam have?

.595 on the lift. Cam Motion ensured that the lift/springs has nothing to do with the noise.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got ya on the oil .
My opinion FWIW .......aggressive ramp cam .

Cam Motion cams are super mild, have used them for years. However, this is the first time I've used one of their VVT cams.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.595 isn't much at all, mine is .600/.600 and I've seen plenty of higher lift cams that don't have any noise. COuld be something to do with the VVT but Idk anything about the witchcraft.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have spent hundreds on different oils lol. Could have bought another set of lifters that's how much I spent.

I am running top of the line 5w-30 redline right now, it's a moly group 5 oil with tons of detergents in it and zinc. I decided it would be the last oil I try because if it's noisy with this, nothing will quiet it.

When it's time to change it, I will switch to the 0w-30 version.

Here it is fully warmed up, sounds like a normal mild cammed engine.

To my ear, the cold startup sounded like it was primarily just one lifter making most of the noise. I have that sometimes with my Morels, too, but a little rev and it mostly goes away. Unless it gets louder, I think you have time on your side to let it roll a while. Sure would hate to see you tear it down, only to end up right back where you are when you're done.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To my ear, the cold startup sounded like it was primarily just one lifter making most of the noise. I have that sometimes with my Morels, too, but a little rev and it mostly goes away. Unless it gets louder, I think you have time on your side to let it roll a while. Sure would hate to see you tear it down, only to end up right back where you are when you're done.

Agreed, however I have 4k on the setup and have done long road trips and hundreds of WOT pulls. I think it is what it is at this point.

One thing I might try as a hail mary is just putting in the stock pushrods, which will give it like .130 preload. The full travel of the lifter is over .200. If that quiets it down, then I can order longer chromoly pushrods.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, however I have 4k on the setup and have done long road trips and hundreds of WOT pulls. I think it is what it is at this point.

One thing I might try as a hail mary is just putting in the stock pushrods, which will give it like .130 preload. The full travel of the lifter is over .200. If that quiets it down, then I can order longer chromoly pushrods.
I think that's a great first step. I've also read that the preload can vary widely in the same engine - so much so that some folks run slightly different length pushrods based on their measurements. I wonder if it would be worth the time to use the adjustable pushrod to check if any of the lifters currently have significantly more lash than the others, and drop the longer pushrods into only those that do.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's a great first step. I've also read that the preload can vary widely in the same engine - so much so that some folks run slightly different length pushrods based on their measurements. I wonder if it would be worth the time to use the adjustable pushrod to check if any of the lifters currently have significantly more lash than the others, and drop the longer pushrods into only those that do.

Yeah this is what Johnson actually recommended but I haven't done it yet because it's such a hassle lol. I skipped over it because it was still like 35 outside every day. Now I should be able to do this.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah this is what Johnson actually recommended but I haven't done it yet because it's such a hassle lol. I skipped over it because it was still like 35 outside every day. Now I should be able to do this.
Fo sho. This is the time of year to dig onto a project. Another month, here in Virginia at least, and I'll be running about a beer every 15 minutes to stay cool, and unless I get the project done in an hour, I'd have to move to the couch. Lol.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fo sho. This is the time of year to dig onto a project. Another month, here in Virginia at least, and I'll be running about a beer every 15 minutes to stay cool, and unless I get the project done in an hour, I'd have to move to the couch. Lol.

Yeah it never ends lol. I am at the mileage where everything needs to be replaced.

Now it's power steering lines leaking and the A/C compressor is binding up above 3k RPMS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157