Lifter ticking. Will it damage other parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wulfaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe with the 5.3. I have a ticking sound coming from the drivers side of the engine every now and then. It starts up after being on the highway for 20 min and goes away after a little but I think I have narrowed it down to a dirty lifter. As of now the engine still runs smooth and that cylinder has not shut off.

If I leave it and don't fix it until it goes all the way out will this hurt other parts of the engine?

And does anyone have any tips to clean it without changing them completely. I have heard oil additives damage the active fuel management engines.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kevin, welcome to the forum. Hydraulic lifters have a tendency to BLEED OFF after shut down from time to time with no real problem. As soon as started in a few minutes they will fill up with oil again causing the ticking to quiet down. They are supposed to hold pressure when shut down occurs but rarely you will have one that doesn't. My 99 5.7 @ 197k miles has one that ticks a small amount on cold start up but is gone in 2 minutes or so, and I change the oil @ 3k w/filter. This is not something to worry about to cause any damage. JMHO and good luck.
David g............:)

OP
OP
Wulfaz

Wulfaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Kevin, welcome to the forum. Hydraulic lifters have a tendency to BLEED OFF after shut down from time to time with no real problem. As soon as started in a few minutes they will fill up with oil again causing the ticking to quiet down. They are supposed to hold pressure when shut down occurs but rarely you will have one that doesn't. My 99 5.7 @ 197k miles has one that ticks a small amount on cold start up but is gone in 2 minutes or so, and I change the oil @ 3k w/filter. This is not something to worry about to cause any damage. JMHO and good luck.
David g............:)
Thanks for the reply. It helps explain a little. The weird thing about mine though is it never ticks on start up. I can drive it for about 20 min straight even without it ticking. But once it has been driving for 30 min the ticking starts. About 20 min later it stops. It definitely has me scratching my head.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may not cause any problems if that ticking sound is from a lifter just needing to pump up with oil after it has drained from sitting. But, there are other things that can cause similar sounds that may very well be damaging or caused as a result of damage/failure. A spun bearing can sound like a lifter tick. Yours doesn't sound like a simple drained lifter by the way it starts after you've been driving. To be on the safe side, I'd investigate it further.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It helps explain a little. The weird thing about mine though is it never ticks on start up. I can drive it for about 20 min straight even without it ticking. But once it has been driving for 30 min the ticking starts. About 20 min later it stops. It definitely has me scratching my head.

I know that your using the the proper recommended oil, and BTW I still don't add any additives on mine 99 even with the high miles. Are you using the same brand of oil each change ?
David g.

OP
OP
Wulfaz

Wulfaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know that your using the the proper recommended oil, and BTW I still don't add any additives on mine 99 even with the high miles. Are you using the same brand of oil each change ?
David g.
I have only changed the oil once since I got the vehicle. (I got it 2000 miles ago). But it wasn't doing it when I got it. ( or I didn't drive it long enough to notice). But I have noticed it does it less or not even at all when the weather is a over 70 degrees

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only changed the oil once since I got the vehicle. (I got it 2000 miles ago). But it wasn't doing it when I got it. ( or I didn't drive it long enough to notice). But I have noticed it does it less or not even at all when the weather is a over 70 degrees

JMHO, let's start with a fresh oil & filter change and see if you notice it at all. Oil is no science with all the advertisement. I have used Pennzoil from the beginning since my 1st 1954 BelAir, and never have had a failure in all that time since 1960.
I now use SAE 5w20 that GM recommends in my Tahoe. As for oil filter, I use both AC Delco or Fram which ever is @ WalMart since they have the best prices. Good luck and let us know after you service it, just stay out of quick oil change places.
David g........:)

OP
OP
Wulfaz

Wulfaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
JMHO, let's start with a fresh oil & filter change and see if you notice it at all. Oil is no science with all the advertisement. I have used Pennzoil from the beginning since my 1st 1954 BelAir, and never have had a failure in all that time since 1960.
I now use SAE 5w20 that GM recommends in my Tahoe. As for oil filter, I use both AC Delco or Fram which ever is @ WalMart since they have the best prices. Good luck and let us know after you service it, just stay out of quick oil change places.
David g........:)
I didnt explain myself well. Sorry. I meant I bought the Tahoe 2000 miles ago. I changed the oil 200 miles ago. It helped the engine not make the noise for about a week then started again

Kbkiller

Reaction score
You might have clogged push rods. It is really simple to pull the valve covers to check for any play in the rockers to see if a lifter is stuck or if the push rod might be clogged. I had a similar problem with intermittent ticking sometimes on start up it ticked and othertimes it was after 30 min of driving and come to find out 3 of my push rods where completely clogged.

OP
OP
Wulfaz

Wulfaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You might have clogged push rods. It is really simple to pull the valve covers to check for any play in the rockers to see if a lifter is stuck or if the push rod might be clogged. I had a similar problem with intermittent ticking sometimes on start up it ticked and othertimes it was after 30 min of driving and come to find out 3 of my push rods where completely clogged.
If it's a lifter will the rockers not have much play?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076

Latest posts