Lifter Issues on ‘21s Being Delivered to Dealers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMs way of clearing the lots of '21s and make it appear the problem is solved and taken care. Now it's all safe to buy a '22, woohoo.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cross-posting in this thread as I saw it after the other thread:

Their Corporate response to me in addressing my lifter failure at 12,995 miles on my 21 Denali, which stranded me 400 miles from home is “we’re sorry you were inconvenienced and understand your frustration. Please accept 200,000 My GMC Rewards points to feel better.”

My repeated requests for an extended powertrain warranty were denied as was my request to have the remaining lifters in the engine replaced. I’ll get a sweet deal on some OEM GM accessories though, oh boy!!! I emailed a link to the GM Authority to the rep handling my case and said my demand still stands I get an extended powertrain warranty. Have any of you here with lifter failures received an extended warranty?

20Tahoe21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The replacement of lifters on units being delivered to dealers before they sell them was the last straw for me. My 2021 Tahoe was built on April 1, 2021 and was supposedly after the "bad lifters" batch was depleted. Apparently this was a load of BS since there are still problems. My dealer stepped up today and bought my Tahoe back for $1k more than I paid in April.I had not had a failure at 4300 miles, but could not trust it going forward. Feel fortunate to have gotten out of this relatively unscathed. Best of luck to whoever buys my Tahoe for over sticker.

SAdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The replacement of lifters on units being delivered to dealers before they sell them was the last straw for me. My 2021 Tahoe was built on April 1, 2021 and was supposedly after the "bad lifters" batch was depleted. Apparently this was a load of BS since there are still problems. My dealer stepped up today and bought my Tahoe back for $1k more than I paid in April.I had not had a failure at 4300 miles, but could not trust it going forward. Feel fortunate to have gotten out of this relatively unscathed. Best of luck to whoever buys my Tahoe for over sticker.
There are people on wait lists to get one of these rides and you actually sold yours which was having no problems becasue of a problem that MIGHT happen but has not happened to the majority of owners? I'm in my 14th month of ownership without a single issue and personally know other 21 tahoe/yukon owners who are also problem free. I guess the power of internet persuasion is that strong.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are people on wait lists to get one of these rides and you actually sold yours which was having no problems becasue of a problem that MIGHT happen but has not happened to the majority of owners? I'm in my 14th month of ownership without a single issue and personally know other 21 tahoe/yukon owners who are also problem free. I guess the power of internet persuasion is that strong.
Watching this unfold I don't blame him wanting a vehicle that is more reliable with a manufacturer that is willing to fully take care of what should be the rare individual who is put out by a failure. GM is doing the bare minimum when customers are against the wall. Shills may disagree.

Last edited:

20Tahoe21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was ready to continue on with my Tahoe until today’s GM vote of no confidence on the lifters installed on vehicles just being delivered to dealers. When they say they are not willing to sell newly assembled units to consumers without first replacing both banks of lifters what does that tell you about earlier vehicles which were built after assurance they were fine after April 2021? No confidence and more than an ”internet power of persuasion” issue when GM acknowledges the problem themselves. Hope you get many miles of trouble free service from your vehicle but don’t be surprised if you end up 500 miles from home with a breakdown and a 3 week wait for parts/repairs. I don’t want to take that chance.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was ready to continue on with my Tahoe until today’s GM vote of no confidence on the lifters installed on vehicles just being delivered to dealers. When they say they are not willing to sell newly assembled units to consumers without first replacing both banks of lifters what does that tell you about earlier vehicles which were built after assurance they were fine after April 2021? No confidence and more than an ”internet power of persuasion” issue when GM acknowledges the problem themselves. Hope you get many miles of trouble free service from your vehicle but don’t be surprised if you end up 500 miles from home with a breakdown and a 3 week wait for parts/repairs. I don’t want to take that chance.
Not to defend GM, but I understood the new directive to dealers was not about newly built units…but about 2021 units just arriving now at dealers. It’s within reason that these were built prior to April and had been sitting around incomplete and are just being shipped now.

20Tahoe21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not to defend GM, but I understood the new directive to dealers was not about newly built units…but about 2021 units just arriving now at dealers. It’s within reason that these were built prior to April and had been sitting around incomplete and are just being shipped now.
I bought my Tahoe in NC on April 28. It was assembled on April 1 in Texas. I really doubt that nearly 8 months later that pre April Units are still being shipped out. The GM release does not specify assembly dates.

Square1Services

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So strange to me that there are so many negative people. I totally understand the anxiety of not knowing if you are going to be one of the unlucky ones that has a lifter problem, but why knock GM for FINALLY stepping up with the best solution. Clearly they have felt enough pain about all these post production failures and are losing existing/potential customers left and right.

Ive worked for years in customer service and this to me is an example of a company trying to go above and beyond BEFORE they have a dissatisfied customer. Has anyone left space for the possibility that they truly believe the engines built after April are problem free but because of all of the posts on blogs like this one they know there is a lack of confidence in a 2021 Tahoe/Yukon no matter when it was built?

I think the guy that sold his Tahoe even though he doesn’t have a problem proves my point. No trust in the product. In order to regain the trust they are saying “hey we think we have it fixed from the factory, but to make sure we don’t have anymore issues we are going to replace the parts (all of them mind you, not just one bank) before the customer ever even takes delivery. Sadly this just goes to show you can’t make everyone happy, but I’ll give them credit for trying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts