It's about time someone called out GM on this issue!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, GM has used the end consumer as a final quality check for decades. When I was getting my mechanical training in the late 60's, GM was nearly as advanced as Chrysler in engineering and had better style. By the 1970's though, less reliability and you got things like the Vega. Chrysler used an aluminum block in the early 60's with no problems. GM brought out the 4 cylinder in the Vega and had steel rings in an aluminum bore. My sister bought one of the first Vegas. At 30,000 miles she traded it in as it was getting 100 miles to a quart of oil.

The Corvair of 1959 was a case in point. By the time it ended production in the late 60's, it was a decent car. The early suspension problems poisoned the name. Style has really taken a hit too. Remember the Aztec? It's what happens when you have bankers, not car people running car companies.
Thanks for the laugh on this one. Not many great cars in the ‘70’s but GM invented electronic ignition/HEI which allowed the cars to run on unleaded while being choked out. Many mopars of this time hardly ran at all.

Does anyone know if this affects the LS3 in my 2016 ss? I assume no because the base components are older tech.

Thanks

badtothe bone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, GM has used the end consumer as a final quality check for decades. When I was getting my mechanical training in the late 60's, GM was nearly as advanced as Chrysler in engineering and had better style. By the 1970's though, less reliability and you got things like the Vega. Chrysler used an aluminum block in the early 60's with no problems. GM brought out the 4 cylinder in the Vega and had steel rings in an aluminum bore. My sister bought one of the first Vegas. At 30,000 miles she traded it in as it was getting 100 miles to a quart of oil.

The Corvair of 1959 was a case in point. By the time it ended production in the late 60's, it was a decent car. The early suspension problems poisoned the name. Style has really taken a hit too. Remember the Aztec? It's what happens when you have bankers, not car people running car companies.
You forget that the Vega used Teflon in the cylinders and when it over heated the Teflon fell off the cylinder wall.

If they took the pistons out, bored the cylinder, put bigger Pistons in it would run just fine.

Drag racers used that engine for years, just fill the water jacket with hard block and not run water around the cylinder.

Lordstown Ohio was plagued with problems because of the robotic welders, making the production line go too fast. Wrong size bolt's being used to put it together and people that hated their jobs.

They made the Citation there also.

GM didn't care about it's workers and it's workers did not care about GM.

Which is why the Avalanche was made in Silias Mexico, not Detroit or Oshawa Canada.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you all discussing the 5.3s from the 1st years of production? Is my '05 on the list?

I have had a tiny 'ticking sound' for a long time.... Not too much of a sound that you hear easily, but is noticed while I am at idle.
( My 'tick' almost sounds like the injectors? )

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you all discussing the 5.3s from the 1st years of production? Is my '05 on the list?

I have had a tiny 'ticking sound' for a long time.... Not too much of a sound that you hear easily, but is noticed while I am at idle.
I believe it is engines that have active fuel management (AFM). Knocks out four cylinders when eight are not required.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You forget that the Vega used Teflon in the cylinders and when it over heated the Teflon fell off the cylinder wall.

If they took the pistons out, bored the cylinder, put bigger Pistons in it would run just fine.

Drag racers used that engine for years, just fill the water jacket with hard block and not run water around the cylinder.

Lordstown Ohio was plagued with problems because of the robotic welders, making the production line go too fast. Wrong size bolt's being used to put it together and people that hated their jobs.

They made the Citation there also.

GM didn't care about it's workers and it's workers did not care about GM.

Which is why the Avalanche was made in Silias Mexico, not Detroit or Oshawa Canada.

In 1975, GM got around to adding steel sleeves to the 4 banger and renamed it the "Iron Duke". Chrysler did that with the 225 originally. The iron duke was used for decades afterward. Typical cost cutting like Ford did with the Pinto. A $1 grommet cost a bunch of lives.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the laugh on this one. Not many great cars in the ‘70’s but GM invented electronic ignition/HEI which allowed the cars to run on unleaded while being choked out. Many mopars of this time hardly ran at all.

Does anyone know if this affects the LS3 in my 2016 ss? I assume no because the base components are older tech.

Thanks

Actually, the early electronic ignition GM used wasn't very good and was a high end option. The HEI came out in '75, I think. Possibly a '74. Chrysler offered their electronic ignition as an option in '72 and it was standard across the board in '73. Now, the Lean Burn they came out with in the late 70's was garbage. Every one of those I've had got converted to regular electronic.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

AFM started with the 2007 5.3’s. The 6.2’s started getting them in 2009, if I recall correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC