It's about time someone called out GM on this issue!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One would hope so, because from the sounds of that article the 5.3’s and 6.2’s that GM puts in their cars are the only ones affected.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FINALLY!!!!!!! Hopefully during the discovery phase it will be shared how widespread this issue is with the 5.3 and 6.2 V8 engines. https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/1...valve-lifter-lawsuit-claims-recall-is-needed/
Well, that'll drive up the cost of the cars for everyone another grand or two and the plaintiff's will each get a check for $2 in ten years. Meanwhile, the lawyers will fund the purchase of planes, boats, fancy cars, campaign contributions and expensive college tuitions for their children for the next ten years.

Eusibius2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Innocent question here, I don't know enough about AFM or DFM. But one question that was asked in that article wasn't answered. Anyone here care to help me out, too?

"If you turned the AFM system off, would that help? "

[edit] Got to thinking about this a bit. Maybe not the best question, since the lifter failure would happen regardless if A/DFM is working or not. However, maybe a better question is ... If it's disabled, then would the lifter failure be accelerated since the lifters would be continually in motion? Or would the stopping/starting of the A/DFM put more wear on them, and create a failure sooner? I'm just curious here, nothing to gain or lose on my end.

Last edited:

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Innocent question here, I don't know enough about AFM or DFM. But one question that was asked in that article wasn't answered. Anyone here care to help me out, too?

[edit] Got to thinking about this a bit. Maybe not the best question, since the lifter failure would happen regardless if A/DFM is working or not. However, maybe a better question is ... If it's disabled, then would the lifter failure be accelerated since the lifters would be continually in motion? Or would the stopping/starting of the A/DFM put more wear on them, and create a failure sooner? I'm just curious here, nothing to gain or lose on my end.

I can tell you that lifter problems and manifold bolt problems are common on the 4th Generation RAM trucks but after 60k miles or so, not straight from the factory. Sometimes known as the HEMI tick. The lifter problem in the RAMs is known to be linked to their AFM system (Called something else, DFM or something... by MOPAR. The system that shuts down 4 cylinders). On the RAM trucks one way to deactivate is to manually select the max gear on the steering wheel (Select 8+) which you would have to do every time you drive it. With the manual max gear selected the PCM keeps all 8 cylinders running. The other option in the RAM is to get a tune and there are options to turn it off. Not sure if that helps or not.

I was a long time GM fanboy but I've been a RAM owner and MOPAR fan since February 2016 and trading it in tomorrow. Love the truck, its fast and loud, reliable and lots of power, but... 3 car seats is tight.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The lifters are always in motion when the engine is running, whether that cylinder is shut down or not. When a solenoid gets out of time, it causes the lifter to fail as it collapses at an inconvenient time.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, GM has used the end consumer as a final quality check for decades. When I was getting my mechanical training in the late 60's, GM was nearly as advanced as Chrysler in engineering and had better style. By the 1970's though, less reliability and you got things like the Vega. Chrysler used an aluminum block in the early 60's with no problems. GM brought out the 4 cylinder in the Vega and had steel rings in an aluminum bore. My sister bought one of the first Vegas. At 30,000 miles she traded it in as it was getting 100 miles to a quart of oil.

The Corvair of 1959 was a case in point. By the time it ended production in the late 60's, it was a decent car. The early suspension problems poisoned the name. Style has really taken a hit too. Remember the Aztec? It's what happens when you have bankers, not car people running car companies.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that'll drive up the cost of the cars for everyone another grand or two and the plaintiff's will each get a check for $2 in ten years. Meanwhile, the lawyers will fund the purchase of planes, boats, fancy cars, campaign contributions and expensive college tuitions for their children for the next ten years.
Yep.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope that GM agrees to extend warranty of engines involved with lifter problem and owners that have had to pay for repairs. I don't believe this will add cost to vehicle any more than they have raised price (8 percent for 22's) and also make them look to engineer a better valve train. There is plenty of profit in these vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz

Latest posts