2022 Z71 Suburban 6.2L bent lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robhotdog

Reaction score
Seems the bent lifter issue is still happening. My 2022 Z71 with 2300 miles got towed off to the dealer today since it lost power and had tons of errors/alarms. I just heard from the dealer that the lifters are bent. I waited specifically for a 2022 because of this issue, but it happened. They are also not offering the same as is mentioned here: GM Authority Link
The lifters arnt bent..they stick in down position. I suggest after you get it back put a AFM DELETE module on the ALDL connector. Cheapest way..I've got a 07 with 210k..and a 17 with 50k..no problems at all..no difference in mileage and actually runs better..it deactivates the afm lifter functions..back to normal v8 valve train operation. Easy fix for peace of mind.

dirkw

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seems the bent lifter issue is still happening. My 2022 Z71 with 2300 miles got towed off to the dealer today since it lost power and had tons of errors/alarms. I just heard from the dealer that the lifters are bent. I waited specifically for a 2022 because of this issue, but it happened. They are also not offering the same as is mentioned here: GM Authority Link
I believe that the Technical Bulletin has been updated to replace both banks of lifters. It was in another thread on this forum.

SmittyOBX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They are only replacing one side per approval from GM. Cam shaft inspection says it is ok. Not very pleased after dumping so much cash on this vehicle.
I had same problem with 2021 Tahoe, died at 466 miles, lost power while driving and would not restart. They replaced both lifter banks, said poilicy was to replace both if vehicle had less than 8K miles.
Drove it to Fl last week from NC, have about 2200 miles on it, so far so good. I have filed a complaint with GM Customer Care, just in case something else major happens.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lifters arnt bent..they stick in down position. I suggest after you get it back put a AFM DELETE module on the ALDL connector. Cheapest way..I've got a 07 with 210k..and a 17 with 50k..no problems at all..no difference in mileage and actually runs better..it deactivates the afm lifter functions..back to normal v8 valve train operation. Easy fix for peace of mind.
The afm delete modules from Range are ONLY for 19+ silverados and sierras. There is none for the 21+ SUV’s per their website and customer service. If it were out I see a lot of folks owning some. Supposedly ecm is locked…

21TahoeDisappoint

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't understand the perspective that this lifter issue is due to a bad batch of parts. If so, GM would have/should have announced a recall, as they would know what vehicles had the "bad" parts. The fact that this issue continues, and now is seen in 2022 models, is evidence (in my view), that this is a design flaw and not associated with out of spec parts. Furthermore, the failure mode is fairly high (based upon my conversations with my service advisor). So this isn't something that I thought "oh this happens, but it will be fixed and I'll go on down the road with my new $80k vehicle". I dumped it immediately, and glad I did as we see subsequent failure on vehicles with both banks repaired.

I'm done with GM forever. Not only is the approach of letting the general public vet new technology and design (at the publics' cost and inconvenience) irrational, but the absolute absence of honest communication and proposal of a cogent resolution is unforgivable. Doesn't GM understand the value of brand and reputational damage?

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the perspective that this lifter issue is due to a bad batch of parts. If so, GM would have/should have announced a recall, as they would know what vehicles had the "bad" parts. The fact that this issue continues, and now is seen in 2022 models, is evidence (in my view), that this is a design flaw and not associated with out of spec parts. Furthermore, the failure mode is fairly high (based upon my conversations with my service advisor). So this isn't something that I thought "oh this happens, but it will be fixed and I'll go on down the road with my new $80k vehicle". I dumped it immediately, and glad I did as we see subsequent failure on vehicles with both banks repaired.

I'm done with GM forever. Not only is the approach of letting the general public vet new technology and design (at the publics' cost and inconvenience) irrational, but the absolute absence of honest communication and proposal of a cogent resolution is unforgivable. Doesn't GM understand the value of brand and reputational damage?
If it were a design problem, the failures would have started in the ‘19 model years (when the L84 and L87 was first introduced) and carried through ‘20, ‘21 and ‘22 with a distribution likely similar in each year.

While I understand your disappointment in getting what you considered a defective product, I don’t understand why that disappointment is so strong that it blinds you to the simple fact that they had a batch of bad lifters that got installed in some of these engines. BTW, there were also a batch of bad valve springs also installed in some of the engines (L87 only) and whose failures have been misatributed to a lifter problem (the window for those parts is a little shorter than the lifter window). People forget factories all over the world were dealing with COVID during this timeframe, everyone was all screwed up.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious. Did you own a model from the previous generation? If so, did you notice more engine noise with your '22? I own a '17 and '22; the engine in my 22 seems to be louder and produce more noise. This is concerning as there may be a solid chance I will be joining the failed lifter club with a '22 at some point. I'm hoping this isn't the case, but the engine noise gives me doubt.
they made the engine compartment smaller

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were a design problem, the failures would have started in the ‘19 model years (when the L84 and L87 was first introduced) and carried through ‘20, ‘21 and ‘22 with a distribution likely similar in each year.

While I understand your disappointment in getting what you considered a defective product, I don’t understand why that disappointment is so strong that it blinds you to the simple fact that they had a batch of bad lifters that got installed in some of these engines. BTW, there were also a batch of bad valve springs also installed in some of the engines (L87 only) and whose failures have been misatributed to a lifter problem (the window for those parts is a little shorter than the lifter window). People forget factories all over the world were dealing with COVID during this timeframe, everyone was all screwed up.
I've been watching the number of lifter failures increase since the introduction of DFM in the 2019 pickups. It's pitiful the way GM charges for these vehicles and does the least possible for their customers when they break.

General Motors V-8 engines are no stranger to lifter problems. Owners of GM V-8 engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) have dealt with stuck and collapsed lifters for years. But it seems a new round of lifter woes are hitting GM truck engines with relatively low mileage.

The GM lifter problems affect both the 2019-2021 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups as well as their GMT T1XX platform SUV siblings, the Chevrolet Tahoe, Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon and Cadillac Escalade.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been watching the number of lifter failures increase since the introduction of DFM in the 2019 pickups. It's pitiful the way GM charges for these vehicles and does the least possible for their customers when they break.

General Motors V-8 engines are no stranger to lifter problems. Owners of GM V-8 engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) have dealt with stuck and collapsed lifters for years. But it seems a new round of lifter woes are hitting GM truck engines with relatively low mileage.

The GM lifter problems affect both the 2019-2021 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups as well as their GMT T1XX platform SUV siblings, the Chevrolet Tahoe, Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon and Cadillac Escalade.

You won’t get an argument from me with regard to the hamfisted way GM has dealt with this issue. On the other hand people sit back and make generalizations regarding the “lifter problems”, like these lifters are just waiting to fail. That is just flat wrong. GM has built over a million of this latest generation engine, they see what is reported by one person as a “bent lifter” in a 2022 model and immediately say, “ ah ha!, see they are still failing!” They don’t fail like that, so likely the service writer probably didn’t understand what the tech said about the problem, but right away, we have ongoing lifter failure issues, at least on the internet.

I have a 2007 Yukon I bought new. I never knew about the “AFM lifter problem” until I got onto the internet and read how bad it was and how I should replace my cam and lifter with a non AFM variety. I went to my trusted service advisor, the same guy I have always gone to when I started with this dealer and asked him what I should do about my AFM lifters, as my engine was well into six figures and likely was about to have AFM lifter problems.

My service advisor said, “yeah, I have heard about those issues…. BUT, I have never seen a failed AFM lifter”, “just keep maintaining it like you do and start worrying about other things.” My dealer is the biggest GMC truck dealer in the state. Now, this was way before the 2021 MY bad lifter debacle and he got a PhD on the subject when they started to show up on one of his biggest fleet customers who bought a slug of early 2021 trucks that they maintain.

He has replaced a bunch of lifters on a lot of trucks that were produced during the bad lifter window period. They have never had a single lifter they have replaced come back in to be redone, zero.

The internet is an echo chamber of bad data flying around, the badder the misinformation, the more it is repeated.

Again, that doesn’t absolve GM from lousy customer service on the issue, but frankly, can you blame the people running GM?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98