Let's see your aftermarket running boards!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Captain Insaino

Captain Insaino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just in case anyone had seen this thread and was considering these Rough Country side steps that myself and CaptainInsaino have tried....

DON'T.

After about a month and well under 1000 miles of driving with these on, mine are starting to develop rust spots.

I am absolutely outraged. I've emailed Rough Country and am awaiting a response. But don't waste your time. I paid over $300 for these in the hopes that they were a good product that would not rust (at least not so quickly).

View attachment 263687
That sucks. Sorry to have set a $hitty precedence. I'm glad I stored mine in the garage. Now I don't know if I can even sell them with a clean conscience. I still might cut off the hoops and see if they would work for nerfs, since no one has met our needs in manufacturing anything decent.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. Sorry to have set a $hitty precedence. I'm glad I stored mine in the garage. Now I don't know if I can even sell them with a clean conscience. I still might cut off the hoops and see if they would work for nerfs, since no one has met our needs in manufacturing anything decent.

I'm just disappointed and angry.

They don't look terrible. I've gotten a lot of compliments on them.

But the hoops are in the wrong spots and they are obviously made with subpar materials/methods. For the money, these aren't good.

The question now is do I leave it with nothing at all, put the stockers back on or look harder for the OEM Z71 steps I really want.

DADW4GN

Reaction score
I'm just disappointed and angry.

They don't look terrible. I've gotten a lot of compliments on them.

But the hoops are in the wrong spots and they are obviously made with subpar materials/methods. For the money, these aren't good.

The question now is do I leave it with nothing at all, put the stockers back on or look harder for the OEM Z71 steps I really want.

Take a look at my pics of my XL from my posts...are these the steps you're looking for? Pretty sure they are the Z71 OEM style steps that the dealer added along with my lift and appearance package.

I have amp power steps ordered and paid for, but they are severely back ordered. Been waiting 4 weeks, so hopefully their distributor (electricstep) gets them soon. I am first in line once they come in.

Might be a little while, but once they arrive and I get the time to install them (hopefully by 1st if the year), you can have first crack at my current ones. And I am a freight broker, so I can give you my cost for shipping as well. If interested shoot me an offer.

DADW4GN

Reaction score
...after a little research, I don't think mine are what you are looking for. Mine look to be tubular chrome aftermarkets.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...after a little research, I don't think mine are what you are looking for. Mine look to be tubular chrome aftermarkets.

Those are kind of what I am looking for - but definitely not chrome. Thank you anyways I do appreciate that offer!

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look at my pics of my XL from my posts...are these the steps you're looking for? Pretty sure they are the Z71 OEM style steps that the dealer added along with my lift and appearance package.

I have amp power steps ordered and paid for, but they are severely back ordered. Been waiting 4 weeks, so hopefully their distributor (electricstep) gets them soon. I am first in line once they come in.

Might be a little while, but once they arrive and I get the time to install them (hopefully by 1st if the year), you can have first crack at my current ones. And I am a freight broker, so I can give you my cost for shipping as well. If interested shoot me an offer.
Do you still have to plug them into the OBD port to functions? I’d like to get those instead of my factory Z71 steps.

DADW4GN

Reaction score
Do you still have to plug them into the OBD port to functions? I’d like to get those instead of my factory Z71 steps.

That's what I understand, yes. They have a splitter you can order with it so you can still keep an open OBD port. I added that, and a manual switch to manually open and retract them as well.

R Black

Reaction score
LOL. When I was in college my girlfriend and I took her Chevy Corsica out to Ruidoso, NM. I surprised the heck out of a Jeep guy when I saw how far out I got that car.

Hey ...small, front wheel drive....half way decent clearance compared to late model cars, I'm probably the only person that doesn't surprise.

You wouldn't believe what my dad did with a fully loaded '70 Buick Estate Wagon, and what I did with a 116" '76 Cutlass.
Well .... I guess you would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879