Leaking Coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solosys

Reaction score
Almost overheated the other day. Checked coolant and it was low. Filled it up and about a month later low again. Today I looked to see where the leak was. Looks like it's coming from the port on the radiator. Such a small leak though. Do I have to replace the whole radiator or can I seal it with something.

2012 Yukon XL 1500 with about 170,000 miles.

Attachments

• 6B072FFB-798A-4E3F-9053-11332D4C19C1.jpeg
    6B072FFB-798A-4E3F-9053-11332D4C19C1.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 10

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well it's cracked and unless you are dead broke I would just buy a new one
if you really had to fix it because of economic reasons you could hit it with a torch and melted plastic of the same type for a possible short term fix
a person I know did that stranded on the side of the road and it never leaked again
I am not suggesting you do that but if you really had no other option it might be worth a try

OP
OP
S

solosys

Reaction score
well it's cracked and unless you are dead broke I would just buy a new one
if you really had to fix it because of economic reasons you could hit it with a torch and melted plastic of the same type for a possible short term fix
a person I know did that stranded on the side of the road and it never leaked again
I am not suggesting you do that but if you really had no other option it might be worth a try
Ok I'll purchase another one. If I have the Yukon XL with transmission cooler, is there a recommended aftermarket radiator, or just go with OEM, which I think is AC Delco. Should I go ahead and replace the thermostat as well?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll purchase another one. If I have the Yukon XL with transmission cooler, is there a recommended aftermarket radiator, or just go with OEM, which I think is AC Delco. Should I go ahead and replace the thermostat as well?
I would go with oem, thermostat should be perfectly fine
some of aftermarket radiators are not so great, they are cheap for a reason.
and yes if you have the trans cooler option you will need one with the cooler option

OP
OP
S

solosys

Reaction score
Installed the OEM radiator and thermostat and hose today. Install went flawless. Very easy install since the radiator is an exact drop in replacement and doesn't require installing ports, swapping bushings, etc. Only mistake is I forgot to dilute the antifreeze. I'm hoping this is ok since I'm assuming I didn't completely drain the entire system. AC and heating is working fine.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Since you did not empty the entire system, you will likely be just fine. Smart call on the OEM radiator and IMO, I would have done the thermostat as well, which I hope was OEM.What hose and why not both hoses?

OP
OP
S

solosys

Reaction score
Since you did not empty the entire system, you will likely be just fine. Smart call on the OEM radiator and IMO, I would have done the thermostat as well, which I hope was OEM.What hose and why not both hoses?
I had already done the other radiator hose a few weeks ago. All hoses, thermostat, and radiator are OEM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilb

Latest posts