L86/L83.Flex fuel conversion with pics and part #s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anyone did Flex fuel conversion on 6.2 or 5.3 SUVs, anyone have pics ?
Also did GM ever offered 5.3 SUVs with flex fuel. I know they did on early trucks but what about SUVs ?

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 17 is factory flex fuel, although i have never used E85...i would not mind trying if i know i will run through that tank quickly, i am not a fan of the moisture that the e85 draws

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, as Stormin08 mentioned, the 5.3s are Flex Fuel and the software is in the computer (your 6.2) should you desire to add an alcohol content system to your truck. The GM-Trucks forum shows how some fellas did it with pickups and lots of photos and I reckon it would not be difficult to convert yours. There are also aftermarket solutions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys
Well did a lot reading on gm-trucks, problem is their fuel lines are different than SUVs
My 16 does have flex connector plug hanging there. I fo have HP tuners so no problem there. I just need find SUV vin # that have flex from the factory so i can use it to find short hoses to connecto to flex sensor. I could go with aftermarket Russell fittings and cut hard fuel line but i need that spot for my aftermarket fuel pressure sensor
So it would be nice to have last 8 of vin # that have flex from the factory
Im not sure if STORMIN08 suburban have same size of fuel lines since its longer than tahoe or my yukon
Thanks

OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well mine says E85 MAX too

To my understanding they all compatible of flex fuel, they just missing flex sensor, bracker and one or two quick connect plastic hoses. I just have to found them. Pick up have different layout and on our SUV there is ABS pump right there so iys little different than on pick ups

Last edited:

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed in sorts...they all CAN be flex fuel, but did not come that way. so in the sense of ARE THEY ALL .. NO, that could be misleading towards the unknowing.

OP
OP
Slow5.0

Slow5.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. So i went to local GMC/Chevy dealer, found a few 15-18 Tahoes with 5.3. Asked sales man for build sheet. He said non of them are Flex fuel. I was ok, can i test drove one of 15s. He said ok give me keys. Took for a spin til i found curb. Im big guy and cant slide under this Tahoe. So curb helped just enough to squeeze. Yep found flex sensor and all hoses and bracket. Went back to dealer got vin # and than to parts guy
So it easy conversion, more swap, just 4 parts

13507129 Flex sensor $49.93
20967836 Hose $13.22
20967866 Flex sensor bracket $2.50
22772986 E85 Filler hose kit. $146.48 for this one im not sure if we need that bad

Only problem parts are on back order. Everything is plug and play. New female to female hose replace original female to male and goes on outlet of sensor on bottom. Original hose connects to top of sensor in inlet. Our setup is different than on pick ups. Our sensor sits horizontally so inlet and outlet point up and down. On pick up they point left and right. Its tight it that area because ABS is right there. 3 small holes are pre drilled for the bracket so no drilling.

So there you have it

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok. So i went to local GMC/Chevy dealer, found a few 15-18 Tahoes with 5.3. Asked sales man for build sheet. He said non of them are Flex fuel. I was ok, can i test drove one of 15s. He said ok give me keys. Took for a spin til i found curb. Im big guy and cant slide under this Tahoe. So curb helped just enough to squeeze. Yep found flex sensor and all hoses and bracket. Went back to dealer got vin # and than to parts guy
So it easy conversion, more swap, just 4 parts

13507129 Flex sensor $49.93
20967836 Hose $13.22
15168649 Clip / bracket $2.94
22772986 E85 Filler hose kit. $146.48 for this one im not sure if we need that bad

Only problem they on back order. Everithing is plug and play. New female to female hose replace original female to male and goes on outlet of sensor on bottom. Original hose connects to top of sensor in inlet. Our setup is different than on pick ups. Our sensor sits horizontally so small pipes point up and down. On pick up they point left and right and on truck bracket is mounted on driver side frame rail. On SUV is mounted on crossmember. Its tight because ABS is right there. 3 small holes are already on crossmember for the bracket so no drilling.

So there you have it

Easy enough just to look inside the fuel door for the E85 sticker.

1625522766900.png

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all them got that. My brothers 06 avalanche, if it wasn't for the yellow gas cap, there were no other telltales. Which when we bought it, it didn't come with. We had to get the VIN decoded for that, than added it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh