Knackered Torsion Bar or Tweaked Frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aonghus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, been lurking here since we bought out 2004 Tahoe Z71 a couple months ago. I decided to put a couple cranks on the torsion bars today to level it out some.....uuuh, somethin ain't right.

The driver's side adjustment bolt was cranked nearly all the way in, probably only about 3/8-1/2" of adjustment left. The passenger side however was nearly all the way out, sticking below the cross bar, probably nearly 2" of adjustment left.

So, is my driver's side torsion bar weak...or is the frame tweaked?

If I need new torsion bars, is an ebay wrecker, local wrecker, or aftermarket the best way to go? There is a set from a 2003 Tahoe on ebay right now with low miles, would cost about $200 for the pair with shipping.

Input? Suggestions? Questions?

Also noticing the slight rattle in the steering which I understand to be the "mid-shaft?"

Thanks all!

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, been lurking here since we bought out 2004 Tahoe Z71 a couple months ago. I decided to put a couple cranks on the torsion bars today to level it out some.....uuuh, somethin ain't right.

The driver's side adjustment bolt was cranked nearly all the way in, probably only about 3/8-1/2" of adjustment left. The passenger side however was nearly all the way out, sticking below the cross bar, probably nearly 2" of adjustment left.

So, is my driver's side torsion bar weak...or is the frame tweaked?

No frame issues, it's common and not entirely understood imo. Some believe it's due to the addtl weight on the driver side.

Steering rattle is common failure also, search the forum for that one...its a $50 intermediate shaft and a diy.

B

DaRosa218

The Dude abides
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Tahoe Z71 and when I installed my Lift Keys I thought the same thing was wrong. As long as your able to have the truck sit level and to align with in factory specs then your ok. As previously stated, the rattle is the mid-shaft.

Here is a link on how to remove and grease your mid-shaft: http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9112&highlight=Mid+shaft

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aonghus

Aonghus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

I had always heard that the ISS issue required replacement but I am glad to see that I can grease it or install a grease zerk. If I am understanding this correctly, the problem with the steering rattle is simply lack of grease on the splines of the shaft? Nice. Reminds me of the dry swingarm bearings from the factory on the KLR.

Any opinions on sourcing replacement torsion bars? I would like to be able to level the Tahoe, it sits quite a bit lower in front. I suspect that the drivers side started getting weak so the PO or a shop cranked down the passenger to compensate instead of replacing the driver's side.

I understand that I can get Ford keys that are indexed differently to get some more adjustment but, being that they are SO far off from each other, I am thinking replacement...thoughts?

Thanks again.

OP
OP
Aonghus

Aonghus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The local dealership said new torsion bars run from $300-340 each. They showed several options and wanted my VIN to find the exact match...didn't have the VIN on me at the time as I called form work.

Does anyone know if I can just buy 02-04 Tahoe torsion bars...or will bars from a pickup work...will 3/4 ton bars work...etc. How picky do I have to be to get the exact OEM replacements?

For that kind of money I'm guessing I might be able to find an aftermarket replacement...don't know, still checking around.

Any input will be appreciated.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are many torsion bars of different torque ratings, you should be looking for your bars that match your vin. I personally know it does no good to replace them..im on my 3rd set, same deal

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts