Keeping Transmission pan cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a thought if wrapping exhaust pipe that sits near transmission pan to keep transmission oil cooler. Is it worth it? Why or why not? Any better ideas to keep transmission pan cooler from exhaust pipe heat?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I would probably stick something like this onto the pan above the pipe...

https://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-1...d=1537324729&sr=8-5&keywords=engine+heat+wrap

rps20180918_224124_361.jpg

It is a fiberglass material with a foil backing to reflect the heat.

While I doubt it would make a huge difference in overall fluid temperature it certainly couldn't hurt anything.

I would be very interested in seeing the results of a controlled experiment.

Ambient outside temp for before install and after install tests.
Steady/Highway driving at X MPH for X amount of time.
Idling for X amount of time.

My best guess is that this would do very little for constant driving temperatures due to air flow pushing the heat of the exhaust pipe back away from the trans pan and that it would probably only slow the heating process at idle.

If you were very serious about alleviating the heat induced into the transmission pan from the exhaust the best solution would be to lose the Y pipe and go true duals. I am not saying this to deter you from trying it, much to the contrary. I actually love seeing tests performed and real world controlled data being collected. That is what these sites are all about.. bouncing ideas off of one another and testing to see what works.

I very much hope that you will give this idea a try and keep us all posted with the results.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a transmission oil cooler and deep transmission pan will help keep the transmission temps down, I have both on mine and regular driving for me (speeding for you) then my temps are usually in the 140's range, so if you drive like a normal person it may bring it down to 120's-130's depending on your elevation

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a thought if wrapping exhaust pipe that sits near transmission pan to keep transmission oil cooler. Is it worth it? Why or why not? Any better ideas to keep transmission pan cooler from exhaust pipe heat?

How much does the exhaust pipe heat up the transmission oil? I bet it is hardly worth mentioning. What kind of temperatures are you seeing in city and highway driving?

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much does the exhaust pipe heat up the transmission oil? I bet it is hardly worth mentioning. What kind of temperatures are you seeing in city and highway driving?
The most ive seen as far as temp is 205 ever after a year of driving..today was 170 at most in Portland Oregon weather was like 75 degrees...

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal and within specs. What year is yours?
2011.....always wondering if there has been a software update for the tcm to make it shift better...I bought this Tahoe 1 year ago, so I don't know if it has ever had any tcm updates. Has anyone here had updates done for the 6l80 tcm? If so, was it worth it, and what benefits did it do?

OP
OP
Vegasmarc21

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a transmission oil cooler and deep transmission pan will help keep the transmission temps down, I have both on mine and regular driving for me (speeding for you) then my temps are usually in the 140's range, so if you drive like a normal person it may bring it down to 120's-130's depending on your elevation
I have a trans cooler...I thought they all come with a trans cooler. I do not have a deeper transmission pan, but thinking of getting one..btw, nice pic. Where do you live? Looks like It could be from Oregon with that pic of yours?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a trans cooler...I thought they all come with a trans cooler. I do not have a deeper transmission pan, but thinking of getting one..btw, nice pic. Where do you live? Looks like It could be from Oregon with that pic of yours?
The factory trans coolers are tiny and don’t cool that well. The best cooler by consensus is the Tru Cool 40k; there’s a few threads on installations here. @Doubeleive is from Stockton CA however I’m in the same city as you. What part of town do you live in? I’m in outer SE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali

Latest posts