Keeping coolant and transmission temps under control when towing in the summer heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To Add:
the gen IV's at least the E38 ecms we have here do NOT have an ability
to change fan settings in relation to MPH...
There IS an override option that I've changed, but has not been tested by me
yet to see if it does what I want..
I was having the issue of the fans NOT coming on at hwy speeds even though
the coolant temp was higher than the ON command..
The fans don't come on over a certain MPH. So I did some changes this winter, but
I have not towed in hot weather yet to know if it works for me

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To Add:
the gen IV's at least the E38 ecms we have here do NOT have an ability
to change fan settings in relation to MPH...
There IS an override option that I've changed, but has not been tested by me
yet to see if it does what I want..
I was having the issue of the fans NOT coming on at hwy speeds even though
the coolant temp was higher than the ON command..
The fans don't come on over a certain MPH. So I did some changes this winter, but
I have not towed in hot weather yet to know if it works for me

I was just looking thru some info on tuning a old OBD1 gm ecm and it had the fan cut off, but only for ac really. if coolent temp is the activation point, it didn't cut off. you could also adjust the mph on this setup too. I guess gm didn't stick with that philosophy, shame. let us know how it goes in your tests. be very interesting

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondered where you've been. Welcome back! Hope everything is okay.
Thanks bud. Things have been pretty rough. My Doberman (12 y/o) end up with bone cancer and we spent the better half of 6 months fighting it, and then eventually had to make the call for her, since she wasn’t ready to give up regardless of how bad she was hurting. I spend more time with and am closer to my dog than 95% of parents are with their kids. I would say in the last seven years I spent anywhere between 18-24hrs with her each day. With most parents working and/or their kids playing sports or doing whatever kids do these days, theirs no way they would spend that much time together, it wouldn’t be healthy for either of them. It’s been like a flying front kick square to the chest.

On a positive note….? We are picking up a new dobe pup around the end of the month. I’m hoping that having another shadow around will pull my @$$ out of the funk I’ve been in for the last few months.

So…yeah. Yes and no, everything is okay. If you’re still reading this, then congratulations… youve made it to the end.

Last edited:

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks bud. Things have been pretty rough. My Doberman (12 y/o) end up with bone cancer and we spent the better half of 6 months fighting it, and then eventually had to make the call for her, since she wasn’t ready to give up regardless of how bad she was hurting. I spend more time with and am closer to my dog than 95% of parents are with their kids. I would say in the last seven years I spent anywhere between 18-24hrs with her each day. With most parents working and/or their kids playing sports or doing whatever kids do these days, theirs no way they would spend that much time together, it wouldn’t be healthy for either of them. It’s been like a flying front kick square to the chest.
Then add fuel to the fire with my uncles dementia spirally way out of control. His daughter and some friends stepped in because they thought he was “fine” and his issues can be “cured”. I don’t remember ever reading about a cure for dementia (FTD or otherwise) in Med school. They all have since bailed but only after ransacking his house and taking what they wanted. Of course he thinks my wife and I took everything. One of the stories he told was that we snuck over in the middle of the night, woke him up, drugged him, and then stole what we wanted after rearranging a different room in the house each night.

On a positive note….? The state is stepping in to get him placement before he hurts himself, and we are picking up a new dobe pup around the end of the month. I’m hoping that having another shadow around will pull my @$$ out of the funk I’ve been in for the last few months.

So…yeah. Yes and no, everything is okay. Or at least “I’m fine” has been the lie that I’d been telling myself. I havent even driven or worked on my truck since last June. Other than her appts, I didn’t have any reason to leave home so I spent as much time as I could with her knowing full well I wouldn’t ever get to make that time up once she was gone.

This posting is obviously not the proper place for this public service announcement, but I figure by the time those few on here who know me have read it I will delete it. Plus by then I won’t have to explain things ten different times. If I had ever gotten around to my build page I would have put it there, but either way I would have done the same thing there. So if you’re still reading this, then congratulations… youve made it to the end.
A friend of mine is dealing with FTD now. His wife was diagnosed with it 4 years ago. She’s not even 50.

happy news for the new pup!

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you who moved your cooler down below, how have you been liking it? Did any of you end up having to do any additional mods for the larger fans you put in, or was the system not hindered by them?
It’s been over a year, so god only knows what I missed on the nnsb section.

You know it’s been a while since you last drove, when there are rubber nipples still on the walls of your “new” tires.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you who moved your cooler down below, how have you been liking it? Did any of you end up having to do any additional mods for the larger fans you put in, or was the system not hindered by them?
It’s been over a year, so god only knows what I missed on the nnsb section.

You know it’s been a while since you last drove, when there are rubber nipples still on the walls of your “new” tires.
on my Denali I cut out the plastic behind the chrome holes to allow the air thru and made a bracket to mount it, did not add a fan to it and it has been fine although ideally I would like to add a puller fan, it only got up to 220-224 once up at high elevation with slow moving traffic in the summer around 80deg, elevation i don't know could have been anywhere up to around 6k-12k, other than that in the summer it normally stays around 180 or so with me beating on it like a race car. In the winter at high elevation it got down to about 88-90 in the snow moving about 45mph that was around 4k-6k elevation and freezing/snowing outside.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my Denali I cut out the plastic behind the chrome holes to allow the air thru and made a bracket to mount it, did not add a fan to it and it has been fine although ideally I would like to add a puller fan, it only got up to 220-224 once up at high elevation with slow moving traffic in the summer around 80deg, elevation i don't know could have been anywhere up to around 6k-12k, other than that in the summer it normally stays around 180 or so with me beating on it like a race car. In the winter at high elevation it got down to about 88-90 in the snow moving about 45mph that was around 4k-6k elevation and freezing/snowing outside.
Nice. That’s good to hear. I had to cut out the plastic for my matching bottom billet as well. Maybe I didn’t have to take out as much as I did, but like you said, it provided MUCH better airflow doing so.

Even with those cold temps you didn’t add the bypass correct? Parked in a garage and rarely ever getting cold enough to warrant the need?

I thought you changed out one of your fans after doing the rad swap…or maybe that was one of the other guys. I thought I remember a couple people adding a bigger fan to one side.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They all have since bailed but only after ransacking his house and taking what they wanted. Of course he thinks my wife and I took everything. One of the stories he told was that we snuck over in the middle of the night, woke him up, drugged him, and then stole what we wanted after rearranging a different room in the house each night.

On a positive note….? The state is stepping in to get him placement before he hurts himself,
Hi alpha-omega, newer member here. Sorry to hear about your Doberman, and the family issues.
I went through something similar with dementia/parents/brother. Didn't see it my entire life, until it hit the fan.
You now know who people REALLY are. It is a blessing. You are better off having seen the ugliness and knowing.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900