Keeping coolant and transmission temps under control when towing in the summer heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome bud! Glad to hear things are running great. Enjoy the trip and your extended holiday weekend.

Cincikid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I towed my camper (4k lbs) again this weekend 2.5 hours away in the hills of Kentucky and it did fine without running the A/C, stayed around 210, peaked at 220 on some larger hills. When I run th A/C it does significantly worse, stays hot around 220 and will go up to 230. Is there a chance my A/C compressor or tensioner or belt is putting too much strain on the engine and not spinning as freely as it should?

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I towed my camper (4k lbs) again this weekend 2.5 hours away in the hills of Kentucky and it did fine without running the A/C, stayed around 210, peaked at 220 on some larger hills. When I run th A/C it does significantly worse, stays hot around 220 and will go up to 230. Is there a chance my A/C compressor or tensioner or belt is putting too much strain on the engine and not spinning as freely as it should?
Very unlikely. The issue is that the A/C condenser is right in front of the radiator, so as it removes heat from the cabin, it releases it in front of the radiator making it harder to keep the engine cool. Move that Derale (assuming it has its own fan) to below the bumper and your problems will be gone.

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very unlikely. The issue is that the A/C condenser is right in front of the radiator, so as it removes heat from the cabin, it releases it in front of the radiator making it harder to keep the engine cool. Move that Derale (assuming it has its own fan) to below the bumper and your problems will be gone.
This.^

But also, 230 on these isn't hurting anything as long as you system is in good working order.
(no hoses bursting, plastic fittings/end tanks splitting ready to strand you)

I've upgraded nearly everything cooling wise and running a cold thermostat so I personally like to keep mine under 210-215.

Cincikid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This.^

But also, 230 on these isn't hurting anything as long as you system is in good working order.
(no hoses bursting, plastic fittings/end tanks splitting ready to strand you)

I've upgraded nearly everything cooling wise and running a cold thermostat so I personally like to keep mine under 210-215.
What temp thermostat are you running? That was my next update, I had a shop change mine out with the water pump and they just put the OEM temp in.

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What temp thermostat are you running? That was my next update, I had a shop change mine out with the water pump and they just put the OEM temp in.
I wanted a 170-175, but I don't remember being able to find one.
Ended up putting a 160 in it.
Driving around normally this time of year, it doesn't even care. Still warms up pretty quick. But definitely runs cooler on the highway and stays noticeably cooler with cold ambient temps.
When I had that thermostat and the stock radiator, it almost didn't make a difference. It wouldn't run any cooler really but it just took a tiny bit longer to warm up.
The gold case, we'll see how it does this winter. I might be cruising down the freeway at 160 or 170. Lol

I don't remember what temperature the whole cat warm up and open/closed loop stuff happens, but I do remember that it was under that temperature.

riveted

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Geo. Can you give us new guys a run down of your modifications? After 50 pages it is hard to keep track...

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu