Keeping coolant and transmission temps under control when towing in the summer heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bonebad1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any idea who to contact to get the computer to turn the fans on at a lower temp at speed. Can I do that with a tuner or is that a special tool.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any idea who to contact to get the computer to turn the fans on at a lower temp at speed. Can I do that with a tuner or is that a special tool.
Send an email to @BlackBearPerf and ask if they can do it for you. A blackbear tune will cost ~$500, but they’ll also tune your engine and transmission for better performance, and if you decide to do other mods later like a cam upgrade, they’ll tune it for you for free. I’m super happy with my tunes from them.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Send an email to @BlackBearPerf and ask if they can do it for you. A blackbear tune will cost ~$500, but they’ll also tune your engine and transmission for better performance, and if you decide to do other mods later like a cam upgrade, they’ll tune it for you for free. I’m super happy with my tunes from them.
Thanks so much, we would be happy to help with a tune! Tune prices vary depending on what option you go with. Also we had to change our free update policy for the first time ever since opening our doors. Tune updates are free for the first year, after that it would be $40 to $150 depending on what type of mods you are adding.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tune updates are free for the first year, after that it would be $40 to $150 depending on what type of mods you are adding.
Say what!?! You guys just lost business on that deal. Only kidding, definitely check out BB for a tune, they will get you dialed right in.

Also, if you don’t already have one, consider looking into a Tech2.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think the mishimoto works better than the factory radiator?.
*Bump on this post. Do we have p/n’s for these in case others come looking.

I’m still surprised how far this thread has come in such a short time. Hopefully our ramblings have helped others out who were in or may be in our position down the road. And to think it all started with one “oops” by Dave trying to reroute his fluid. Ha! Way to go Trash-man.

I have a migraine that’s been kickin’ my @$$ for over three days now, so I’m going to let “the other fellows” help me out with this one (how bout part numbers and a score count for which of these works best - that means clean, factory new rads. Obviously Carls 10 year old rusty radiator that never had its fluid flushed, and it’s fins are chalked full of dust, bent up from bugs and space debris won’t run as well as a brand new CC. We are comparing brand new for all three - which is found to work best and what mods are needed (no mods, fan shroud trimming, add vent tube to overflow…etc).

OEM -

Mishi -

ColdCase -

Spoils to the victor!

*As for me, I’m going to drug myself and hope for some R.E.M. sleep tonight. Two hours of sleep in three days makes Adam a dull…everything.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I installed a Cold Case
Cons:
1. Lots of grinding and bending to make it fit.
2. Required cutting fan shroud
3. Very poor manufacturing the fitting on the trans cooler would not seal and they sent me an external cooler that runs as high as 250 degrees.
4. Need to make a restrictor for the coolant tank line
5. Triggers engine failure codes.

Pros:
1. It does cool the motor better
2. It has a drain on it that works

I actually will replace it with a stock one next time.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a Cold Case
Cons:
1. Lots of grinding and bending to make it fit.
2. Required cutting fan shroud
3. Very poor manufacturing the fitting on the trans cooler would not seal and they sent me an external cooler that runs as high as 250 degrees.
4. Need to make a restrictor for the coolant tank line
5. Triggers engine failure codes.

Pros:
1. It does cool the motor better
2. It has a drain on it that works

I actually will replace it with a stock one next time.
Your pro’s seem counterintuitive to the list of cons. Haha.
Was that Cold Case installed on your 11’ Hoe?

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Your pro’s seem counterintuitive to the list of cons. Haha.
Was that Cold Case installed on your 11’ Hoe?
Yes it is still on there for now, I am going to try and get the radiator cooler to stop leaking and if that doesn't work it might be time to get a new radiator or see if Cold Case wants to warranty it.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5400 miles down, only 130 more to go tomorrow and we’ll be home from our epic western road trip. The Denali has performed flawlessly throughout the whole journey, pulling our 7000 lb camper over mountains, across deserts, and through torrential rain. I’m thrilled with this setup and wouldn’t hesitate to take it anywhere. Thanks to all who helped with advice and comments. Never once had any pucker moments with either transmission or coolant temps at any point along the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz