Keep the OBS or swap for newer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe_96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 1996 OBS Tahoe LT 4x4 153,000 miles. It primary duties are hauling kids and groceries and on occasion I pull a trailer with ATV's on it. I am just looking for opinions on possibly moving to a NBS or NNBS Tahoe or Suburban. I understand their are lots of difference between these, but I was wondering what everyone's pros and cons on the subject are. The wife is always complaining that she wants third row seating which is another reason I am entertaining the idea.

Pass 2 years I have replaced:
Leaf Springs
Shocks
Transmission Rebuilt
New Spider Injectors
New CATs
Brakes all four corners (3 Months ago)
New A/C Compressor

Y2KpewterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a chance to get into an NBS Tahoe. Turned it down. I just feel like these generations are easier to work on, cheaper to maintain, and in my opinion better made. Plus the way i look at it you already have the major defects on the OBSs taken care of.. so unless youre buying a brand new unit, you never know what new problems you may encounter. If you are buying new might as well wait for the redesigned 2015s.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Imo keep what you got. Way easier to mess with and cheaper. Did I meantion cheaper? There's hundreds of thousands of obs hoes in junk yards all around the country so prices are very cheap

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
2001-2002 burbs are a fantastic heavy hauler. With a 2500 series you can haul some serious s***. I would keep the tahoe as an additional vehicle tho. Each serves their on purpose and needs to ensure you always got what you need.

Donovan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both a 95 ls 4x4, and a 07 LTZ. I have not had any issues with the 07. Although they are used for 2 different reasons. I take my 95 to the beach a lot. I would not get the 07 near the sand. There is pros and cons with both models. I guess the what it's used for should be a factor. I think both models a reliable trucks if maintained properly. If you have the money for a nbs or nnbs you should have the money for any problems. Just my opinion hope you get what you are looking for. Good luck bro.

OP
OP
T

Tahoe_96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I really like my old Tahoe just wasn't sure if there was anything that really made the newer ones stand out.

Y2KpewterZ you make a good point I would hate to buy another one just to replace all the things I have already replaced on this one.

SunlitComet what makes the 2001-2002 Suburbans so different from the rest

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Around that time gm seem to iron out all the tranny and brake bugs and complaints for starters and also seems to go past 100k miles easily with no major repairs and very little minor repairs like a water pump. The 5.3 in the 1500 did something like 20 highway 12 city. Tho newer ones are just as good, these ones are lower cost to buy used because of the age but while still giving you a newer platform that what you have now. Just find one that is well taken care of.

OP
OP
T

Tahoe_96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around that time gm seem to iron out all the tranny and brake bugs and complaints for starters and also seems to go past 100k miles easily with no major repairs and very little minor repairs like a water pump. The 5.3 in the 1500 did something like 20 highway 12 city. Tho newer ones are just as good, these ones are lower cost to buy used because of the age but while still giving you a newer platform that what you have now. Just find one that is well taken care of.

are the 2003-2006 models just as good. I assume you refered to 2001-2002 because of price

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
they had improvement but the cost will go up or the date range I would go with at least 2005. Lift gate was standard, electric fans conversion, double din radio opening, hydro boost was standard(I think), new interior materials.

That is the one I am aiming for.

Jons2005tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the 05 I traded in my 01 1500 2wd Silverado ex cab longbed. the ride is great with the coil sprung rear and of course torsion bar front. where my Silverado was coils in front and leafs in rear. my Tahoe has hydroboost electric fans and a double din alpine touchscreen dyd player that was installed by the po also has 305 40 23 installed by po.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19