2021 Yukon Denali 1 month review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm definitely getting an AT4. I placed a deposit for a premium packaged AT4 2 weeks ago, but "hoped" to scoop up a lower optioned Denali with the duramax while the AT4 is in limbo/transit. No luck. Either they were already sold, or they wouldn't match the trade in value of the AT4 dealer.
Just hope it arrives soon, because my Yukon already has 15500 miles on it and I'm afraid it will get damaged before closing the deal. They say it's at a train station waiting to be picked up.

jayoco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had my new Denali for a month now and I would like to submit my impressions:

Pros:
The ride is excellent, and, although I was very satisfied with the ride in my 2018, the independent rear suspension on the '21 is an improvement for sure.

This thing is huge compared to my '18. (SEE PIC) That being said, it seems no different driving, other than you seem a bit higher.

View attachment 279793

The interior is a absolute upgrade from the '18. Seats are noticeably more comfortable and the overall appearance is great. The cross stitching on the seats adds to the luxury look. Real leather padded dash, and the real wood accents, just as the '18, are another mark of a high end vehicle.

The large screen on the infotainment center is great. I very much prefer the integrated look that the Denali has, as opposed to the add on look of the Tahoes and Yukon SL/SLT/AT4.

Sliding 2nd row seats is a great improvement for 2nd/3rd row passengers.

3rd row seating is a big improvement comfort wise. More legroom and more headroom make it actually comfortable for adults.

The sliding console is something I may not have ordered, but it came with this one in inventory. Now that I have it it is a very nice and convenient option. Being able to place items between the seats is a definite plus.

The additional 6 inches in length is quite noticeable in the back. With all 3 rows of seats up, you still have a decent amount of storage room behind them.

The ride is just a quiet as the '18.

The larger HUD is a nice improvement.

Thank goodness for the larger outside mirrors, although if you look, they could have made them even larger in the same housing by eliminating the wide border on the outside edge.

Gas mileage, though it decreased 1MPG, is still very reasonable....20+ on the highway, and 15-16 around town. Not bad for huge V8 pushing around a 3 ton vehicle.

Panoramic sunroof is first class.

Adaptive Cruise Control....dont know how I managed without it.

Thank goodness they upgraded the 115V power outlets from a whimpish 100W to 400W! They finally caught up with Ford on this one. They also added a 115V outlet in the rear cargo compartment.

The camera views of everything make maneuvering and parking this behemoth quite easy. They overhead view is terrific.

Overall appearance is extremely first class and is truly impressive in size and looks.

Stereo and 14 speakers make the audio system 2nd to none for a factory system.

I love the large screens as a part of the rear entertainment system. They are HD, and the picture quality is great. Plus the ability for second row seat passengers to monitor the nav system, and can even send destination recommendations to the front display.

With the power retractable steps, the exterior lighting is awesome. This thing is lit up like a Christmas tree at night and easy to find in the parking lot :)

For those worried about car thieves being able to read your remote from inside your house, and then transmit to your vehicle, unlock it and drive it away...that has been remedied. If your remote remains stationary for about 15 minutes, it stops transmitting a signal, thereby not allowing thieves to intercept it and steal your truck.

I love the rear view mirror camera ability. You have much greater visibility and dont have to worry about people/cargo blocking your view behind you.

Cons:
They got rid of the LED turn indicator lights on the outside mirrors. Sometimes, especially if the radio is on, you dont know for sure if the turn indicator is working because the sound it makes is very subtle and there is no light on the mirrors. Not sure why they deleted this, but they could make a simple upgrade to the HUD to indicate turn signal activation.

GM only provides 1 free oil change....although my dealer threw in an extra 2.

You can no longer listen to incoming texts, unless you are using Android Auto, which I dont like.

You can no longer adjust the pedals as in previous models. I think this may have been a govt mandate.

I dont like the Auto Stop at all, but thank goodness in the Yukons, you have the ability to disable it, even though you cant do it permanently, but have to after each new start.

I am disappointed that there is no DVD/CD player as a part of the rear entertainment system. Everything has to either be streamed, or connected via USBs. Makes it more difficult for the kids to watch videos in the back.

There is no longer a grab handle in the front inside door frame to assist passengers getting into the front seat. Not an issue for me, but for others with some degree of disability, missing that grab handle makes stepping up and into the front seat more of a issue. Kinda strange since all companies are so ADA conscious.

As you can see by my list, overall satisfaction is great. Although I was perfectly happy with my '18, since the lease ran out, this was definitely a great upgrade!
How did you do on your lease? My MSRP was just over 85 (which I paid) and my lease is over 1100. It's steep but I paid it.

Jsenky

Reaction score
Other than being ham strung for data and OnStar to use anything, everything else has been pretty fantastic. So far has exceeded expectations….
You dont have to use the onstar data package. I have ATT and my vehicle is added like another device on my wireless plan. I believe ATT is still the only data package available other than onstar.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You dont have to use the onstar data package. I have ATT and my vehicle is added like another device on my wireless plan. I believe ATT is still the only data package available other than onstar.
I take it you have to already have ATT? Im with TMO and hate it and planning to ditch them soon.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, well we have Xfinity mobile which blows away all other carriers. My wife and I use our phones all we want for whatever we want and pay 30.00 total a month for both. But can't hook the vehicle to our plan. Too bad we can't change the SIM card out in the vehicle to use the carrier of our choice....

Jsenky

Reaction score
I take it you have to already have ATT? Im with TMO and hate it and planning to ditch them soon.
I was verizon but switched back to ATT because of this when i got my 16 tahoe. Now i have that and the 21 at4 on my plan. I thought they would add more carriers but no clue why they didnt.

Campingfamco

Reaction score
Agree with your review. It's a fantastic beast! I would say wireless charging with CarPlay is a huge upgrade. Driveability is top notch. The air suspension also seems to be beefier than the previous gen.

Con's I would add the previous gen safety alert seat would vibrate if someone was in your blind spot and you had your blinker on. This one doesn't.

Other than that this is probably one of my favorite GM vehicles and I've owned a lot of them.

Wwes

Reaction score
Great review. I miss my '16 Yukon Denali and await the opportunity to get into a 22/23, either a Yukon XL or the Suburban. The previous gen Yukon was just a little short and I found myself often needing the extra space. The Expedition is just right so I'll cross shop those two again although I much prefer having a V8 to a turbo 6, even if it's down on power.

I'm also glad to see the cabin is bigger - that was needed.

Gibberiv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought 3 in April and May. 2 with the regular suspension, 1 with the air ride. My father drives one and has not reported any problems. My wife drives one and the Nav SD card shows error, nothing in the front or back charges, headrest displays dont work. This all since the day we got it home. They cant fix it. Also can hear her valves rattling. My air ride went down with 650 miles. Took 7 weeks to repair. Put 300 miles on it and it went down again. Just dropped it back off. My father in law has one and has had 3 headrest modules replaced so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu