Just got this 2000 XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Walchit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my wife was really wanting a Tahoe or Yukon. I probably jumped the gun on this one, but I was tired of looking at them, and the guy was a pastor. Hopefully he wasn't lying about the low mileage on the rebuilt motor and transmission. If they aren't actually rebuilt then I probably overpaid, if they are then I got a really good deal lol

The odometer is at 309k but it seems to run and drive really well. It has new tires so I went to get an alignment and they wanted 1450 to change the ball joints before they could align it.

So my first task is gonna be a brake leak that just appeared at the front passenger caliper or something, and then deciding whether to press in ball joints or just change the control arms. I would like to level the front before I get the alignment too.

Things I've read on the forum so far that I feel like are a must, are the Corvette servo, and the transmission temp cluster swap.

Any other must do's?

I saw some of you guys were buying the fancy sway bars, but I'm not sure if I can talk the wife into those, lol.

Anyway, I'm glad this place exists, and happy to be here. Hope you guys like my rust bucket...

Attachments

• 20210830_152741.jpg
    20210830_152741.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 13

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!

Overall your Yukon looks to be in good condition. The Pastor probably did a lot of highway driving with it. Which is a good thing. My sister back in the early 70's bought a Suburban from a Pastor. In 3 years he put on over 250K miles. She had no major issues with it.

Ask any questions you have in the 2000-2006 section. Thank you.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

OP
OP
Walchit

Walchit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you guys should at least get a couple years of participation out of me! Lol. I'm on a couple other forums for my hobbies of growing peppers, and collecting old Weber grills. I'm on the low end of the income spectrum, so don't expect anything too fancy on this rig. I saw those hellwig sway bars, and I might have to try to aquire some at some point. Right now I need to find a key for these lugnuts so I can get this brake leak fixed, and decide whether to press in new ball joints or change the whole control arms. I imagine with 309k I should probably do the whole control arms. I also want to level the front. And I need new headlights.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

The brake leak is the most important thing to address RIGHT NOW! Do the whole arms when you do the ball joints and don't cheap out on them. Same goes for the brake work.

IMO, I would have wanted documentation proof of the engine work and transmission work. I would also get the entire rig inspected, front to rear. I am assuming the brake leak was found at the same time as the ball joints but rest of rig was not inspected.

OP
OP
Walchit

Walchit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the brake Leak because i thought it was an oil leak where I was parking at. Found the ball joints a day later when we took it to her family's shop for an alignment. The guy had painted the calipers recently, so I'm hoping it just needs a new copper washer. I was gonna do the 07 rotor upgrade, but I don't think they will fit in these 16" wheels. And bigdog, he was asking 4800, and I talked him down to 3. In the guys defense, out of the long list of new parts it supposedly has, ball joints wasn't on the list. And I had kind of expected to replace them. I guess I should probably make a thread for this thing huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518