Its Cheaper to Keep Her

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, bench seat vehicles tended to have squishy suspensions and low horsepower engines. Some were sleepers but few and far between. I know that so many times that I had guys/girls come to me and wanted me to help them make there rigs go fast. I always said to them that it is called "Cubic Dollars" and before I would help them do that they first had to build the steering and suspension to handle that amount of torque and horsepower. Then I got the blank stare. Time to educate them at that point.

Mark Shipley

Reaction score
Yea, bench seat vehicles tended to have squishy suspensions and low horsepower engines. Some were sleepers but few and far between. I know that so many times that I had guys/girls come to me and wanted me to help them make there rigs go fast. I always said to them that it is called "Cubic Dollars" and before I would help them do that they first had to build the steering and suspension to handle that amount of torque and horsepower. Then I got the blank stare. Time to educate them at that point.
Speaking of a lighting why not go to Spyder auto.com and look at their LED projector headlights wish I put on my 2011 suburban and they look great and also the LED tail lamps for the back and make sure you get a c shape they are great. Not only does it look cool and somewhere to a new vehicle but they probably won't have to change bulbs for a very long time

Mark Shipley

Reaction score
Speaking of a lighting why not go to Spyder auto.com and look at their LED projector headlights wish I put on my 2011 suburban and they look great and also the LED tail lamps for the back and make sure you get a c shape they are great. Not only does it look cool and somewhere to a new vehicle but they probably won't have to change bulbs for a very long time
Spider doesn't sell them you have to go to another vendor and find them but that site will show you what's available in retrofitz good luck

Mark Shipley

Reaction score
So I was recently faced with the decision most of us have faced. To trade in your beloved vehicle for the latest, or commit to the potential aggregation of a high mileage ride. My 2002 Yukon Denali tripped 320,000, and was leaking/burning more oil than I was comfortable with. The black paint was also fading on the flat areas, and starting to look every tired.

I found myself cruising through car lots checking their wares, and although very nice, I felt guilty...kinda like cheating. I bought my Denali new in 2002, and it has been a great one. Outside of the normal stuff, it has held up better than most would expect.

I decided to take a leap of faith. She has been good to me and it was time to return the favor. I had my mechanic drop in a new 6.0 crate engine, and it is currently off getting a new paint job (back to black). I've also decided occasionally get her something special to keep things current, which is where I could use some help and ideas. I am looking for suggestions and links that would add to the appearance or anything that would bring it up to current technology. Lighting, performance adders, wheels, vent caps, running boards, audio/video, Bluetooth...everything is fair game.

It is still stock, the seats are showing wear front and rear (bench). Still the same Bose radio /6 disk changer.

I know some would frown on spending a significant amount of $$$ on something so old, but you don't trade in family.

Thanks in advance.
If some of your gauges in your instrument cluster start failing those are the stepper Motors that are going out and those things can be easily rebuild by some of these specially companies for about a hundred fifty to $200 and when you do that make sure you switch amount to LEDs for that instrument cluster they look cool and the last a long time

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out Eonon for a good android based radio. Theseatshop.com has replacement foam and sins for the seats for a good price. LED lighting makes a huge difference too. I did everything inside and out except the turn signals and brake lights. Good LED reverse lights make a huge difference.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not exactly , 2 buckets and a jumpseat but it’s close. It’s not what is usually meant when one is talking about a bench seat that has no seams to kind of catch you. A bench seat has no seams in either the foam or upholstery. When you sit in the jumpseat you kind of squish down into it’s own separate area so you’re more likely to stay put and not slide.

Linderov

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I was recently faced with the decision most of us have faced. To trade in your beloved vehicle for the latest, or commit to the potential aggregation of a high mileage ride. My 2002 Yukon Denali tripped 320,000, and was leaking/burning more oil than I was comfortable with. The black paint was also fading on the flat areas, and starting to look every tired.

I found myself cruising through car lots checking their wares, and although very nice, I felt guilty...kinda like cheating. I bought my Denali new in 2002, and it has been a great one. Outside of the normal stuff, it has held up better than most would expect.

I decided to take a leap of faith. She has been good to me and it was time to return the favor. I had my mechanic drop in a new 6.0 crate engine, and it is currently off getting a new paint job (back to black). I've also decided occasionally get her something special to keep things current, which is where I could use some help and ideas. I am looking for suggestions and links that would add to the appearance or anything that would bring it up to current technology. Lighting, performance adders, wheels, vent caps, running boards, audio/video, Bluetooth...everything is fair game.

It is still stock, the seats are showing wear front and rear (bench). Still the same Bose radio /6 disk changer.

I know some would frown on spending a significant amount of $$$ on something so old, but you don't trade in family.

Thanks in advance.

Linderov

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I also have an '02, just rolled 210K. I have a couple of tips for your interior. When my driver's seat started to get that crushed look and the rear seats were softening, I had an interior guy replace the foam in the seat cushions (bottom only), front and rear, $575, 6 hour job. They are like-new comfortable now, like new. My husband retrofitted the old cigar lighter style power outlets with modern usb power supplies to charge iPads etc. He also installed LED interior lights under the dash and front seats to light the floors, as well as the cupholders (yes, that was tricky), which are quite nice. I also recommend a back up camera, tho I dont have one, yet. Go big on the stereo system because why not? My kids like the 360 amp subwoofer, though it is so huge it must be removed for major hauling jobs. That truck is ready to party or work, it's all good! I'll attach a pic of it hauling our '59 Chriscraft.

20161029_160711.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts