Its Cheaper to Keep Her

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Marshall2002

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Here`s where I'm at right now with all of the ups and downs. As I mentioned in the opening post, I had a new 6.0 crate installed. The transmission was serviced, new oil lines and knock sensor. This totalled $6,100. The black paint job ran me $3,100. This included a new passenger rocker panel, which had some serious rust. Then it was off for a new Apline stereo with Apple Carplay and backup camera. I sprung for the camera integrated into the license plate frame so this ran about $1,450 installed. One downside...to fit the stereo, the dash trim had to be replaced. The shop only had black. I miss the Denali faux wood grain. I still have the old one, so I'll see what I can do. Carplay is also a little buggy, but works well usually. The shop installed the Carplay USB port in the dash charger socket under the radio, and installed a small box where the disk changer was to hold a phone. It was a clean install.

I picked up a set of Spyder smoke/chrome CCFL Halo /LED headlights, running lights and taillights from CarId. These ran me about $540. I installed them in about 3 hours, and I'm really pleased with the look.

Before all of this, I was getting the dreaded P0420 catalytic converter code. I tried the CataClean trick with no success, so this weekend I installed new cats from A1 Auto ($315). It may be a wade of $$, but I went ahead and replaced all 4 O2 sensors. They have never been replaced. The old muffler had a broken baffle and was rattling, so I sprang for a Magna flow cat-back ($667). It sounds good from the outside, but you can feel the rumble in the cabin, which I'm not a huge fan of. I guess you can't have it both ways.

Next up....I'm thinking about a BlackBear tune, and start looking at the seats. I know The Seat Shop sell a nice set of replacement foam and covers, but I also need something for the reat bench seat.

The saga continues......Pictures coming soon.....

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Here`s where I'm at right now with all of the ups and downs. As I mentioned in the opening post, I had a new 6.0 crate installed. The transmission was serviced, new oil lines and knock sensor. This totalled $6,100. The black paint job ran me $3,100. This included a new passenger rocker panel, which had some serious rust. Then it was off for a new Apline stereo with Apple Carplay and backup camera. I sprung for the camera integrated into the license plate frame so this ran about $1,450 installed. One downside...to fit the stereo, the dash trim had to be replaced. The shop only had black. I miss the Denali faux wood grain. I still have the old one, so I'll see what I can do. Carplay is also a little buggy, but works well usually. The shop installed the Carplay USB port in the dash charger socket under the radio, and installed a small box where the disk changer was to hold a phone. It was a clean install.

I picked up a set of Spyder smoke/chrome CCFL Halo /LED headlights, running lights and taillights from CarId. These ran me about $540. I installed them in about 3 hours, and I'm really pleased with the look.

Before all of this, I was getting the dreaded P0420 catalytic converter code. I tried the CataClean trick with no success, so this weekend I installed new cats from A1 Auto ($315). It may be a wade of $$, but I went ahead and replaced all 4 O2 sensors. They have never been replaced. The old muffler had a broken baffle and was rattling, so I sprang for a Magna flow cat-back ($667). It sounds good from the outside, but you can feel the rumble in the cabin, which I'm not a huge fan of. I guess you can't have it both ways.

Next up....I'm thinking about a BlackBear tune, and start looking at the seats. I know The Seat Shop sell a nice set of replacement foam and covers, but I also need something for the reat bench seat.

The saga continues......Pictures coming soon.....
I'd run a thin bead of silicone around the inner edge of the new lights. If not they'll most likely fog on you.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear some updates! If the magnaflow cat back is to loud I'd have a Vibrant Ultraquiet resonator welded in. They pretty much completely eliminate drone and rasp plus they can take a beating and won't fall apart inside.

I highly suggest a tune! You will be happy when you do it.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you’ve made some great progress! Can’t wait to see pics! The Blackbear tune will make you fall in love with your truck again! It really wakes up the 6.0 in these trucks. And the better shift patterns make a world of a difference!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518