Its Cheaper to Keep Her

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall2002

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I was recently faced with the decision most of us have faced. To trade in your beloved vehicle for the latest, or commit to the potential aggregation of a high mileage ride. My 2002 Yukon Denali tripped 320,000, and was leaking/burning more oil than I was comfortable with. The black paint was also fading on the flat areas, and starting to look every tired.

I found myself cruising through car lots checking their wares, and although very nice, I felt guilty...kinda like cheating. I bought my Denali new in 2002, and it has been a great one. Outside of the normal stuff, it has held up better than most would expect.

I decided to take a leap of faith. She has been good to me and it was time to return the favor. I had my mechanic drop in a new 6.0 crate engine, and it is currently off getting a new paint job (back to black). I've also decided occasionally get her something special to keep things current, which is where I could use some help and ideas. I am looking for suggestions and links that would add to the appearance or anything that would bring it up to current technology. Lighting, performance adders, wheels, vent caps, running boards, audio/video, Bluetooth...everything is fair game.

It is still stock, the seats are showing wear front and rear (bench). Still the same Bose radio /6 disk changer.

I know some would frown on spending a significant amount of $$$ on something so old, but you don't trade in family.

Thanks in advance.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I love to hear!

To bring it into the current times my first upgrade would be a blue tooth radio with a backup camera. I cant tell you which one because I'm still looking to find one but I'm sure others will chime in.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, great save. I have my 02 Tahoe and it is getting ready to roll at 161k miles. I thought I needed something newer and went on a search, like you did. The newer rigs front seats are uncomfortable to me. Too much plastic. I decided to stay with my NBS and am still looking for a NBS Z71. I have sunk $$$ in to my Tahoe and it just keeps taking care of me. Plus, as a barn door model, it is among a smaller amount of those on the road. If need be the engine will get replaced and the trans too.

Like yours does, my NBS meets my needs, is reliable, is paid for and easier to work on and has not let me down.

Dshell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I put a radio in my 2002 Yukon from 1 factory radio. They take old gm radios and retrofit them with bluetooth. My 02 has 240,000 I guess it's just getting broken in.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like my pioneer avh 211ex. its in my civic but it has alot of nice features i can utilize to bring any older vehicle up to the times. reverse signal wire for automatic av input switching for an installed backup camera. bunch of nice features but that would be a definite ticket for adding a new style function to an older vehicle. new crate engine a nice set of coated headers and a stainless exhaust to go along with that.

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
Awesome. Post pics when u can

care to share how much all this cost you for people thinking of doing same thing?

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Supercharger, or at least an upgraded cam with supporting mods. Also a nice exhaust to free up a few more horses, along with a tune. You can always get some decent stock--ish seat covers from ebay. Just to freshen up the interior look.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys must live out of the rust belt. 300K miles up here and the cab is sitting on the frame no matter how much you wash it out underneath.

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
You guys must live out of the rust belt. 300K miles up here and the cab is sitting on the frame no matter how much you wash it out underneath.

lol sounds like Michigan. They put salt on the roads even when it’s like .25” of snow. It’s soooo dumb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu