Issue reading trans dip stick / overfilled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

This is probably a silly question, but does anyone else have issues using the trans dipstick to get a fluid level reading?

Checked a couple times randomly. Some hot after driving, some cold after sitting. Always get the same thing on the dip stick.

There is no way my trans is this over filled, right??

20240331_151844.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oddly enough with mine being cold and parked with the engine on a slight forward incline it reads the same but when I checked it a few days ago warmed up it did not
I can check again later after I have drove it a bit on a level surface, just had it serviced so it shouldn't be over filled

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Level of a ground as I can"? What does that mean?
It means, I found the most level spot I could to test my transmission fluid.

Meaning, the ground was Level when I tested it..

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It means, I found the most level spot I could to test my transmission fluid.

Meaning, the ground was Level when I tested it..

Sorry, duplicate post.

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trans needs to be checked with engine running in Park. Pull the dipstick, wipe, reinstall for about 2 seconds, pull again and read it.

Off level can change it to read too high or too low. Same as side to side level. If it's biased towards the passenger side, it will read fuller, if it's biased towards the driver side, it will read lower. The dipstick reads the passenger front side of pan.

I'd check it cold and then hot to see. Pull the plug for the transfer case as well to see if that's full, or empty. Maybe a seal has gone bad and it's transferring fluid between the 2. I've usually seen it go from the trans to the transfer case (when that occurs), but it doesn't hurt to look

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trans needs to be checked with engine running in Park. Pull the dipstick, wipe, reinstall for about 2 seconds, pull again and read it.

Off level can change it to read too high or too low. Same as side to side level. If it's biased towards the passenger side, it will read fuller, if it's biased towards the driver side, it will read lower. The dipstick reads the passenger front side of pan.

I'd check it cold and then hot to see. Pull the plug for the transfer case as well to see if that's full, or empty. Maybe a seal has gone bad and it's transferring fluid between the 2. I've usually seen it go from the trans to the transfer case (when that occurs), but it doesn't hurt to look
Thank you! Very helpful!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Level ground as I can and level ground are two different things. If you have a tilted driveway, then find a level place and check there. If street is level, check in the street. If the parking lot down the street is level, check the fluid there. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tadsher

Latest posts