Is there an easy way to get to the fog lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to change the bulbs to a 5K and the owners manual makes it appear much easier to do so than actuality.
Laying on my back under the truck I can't see how I can get to the bulbs without removing wheel liners or several pieces of trim hardware.
There has to be an easier way.

Demer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been over a year since I changed the bulbs in my fog lights, but as I remember it, I just crawled under the vehicle and was able to reach up and switch them out. Nothing had to be removed. I have skinny arms, so maybe that helped?

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must be an idiot. My wife tells me so all the time.
Almost the entire underside is covered by plastic under carriage. It seems I would need to remove all of this to get to them.
I find it hard to believe GM would make it that difficult to make a simple bulb change.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I went in from the mid-front, reached over the plastic and swapped them. A small flashlight in the hand of another person may help (due to the weird angle of trying to get YOUR second hand in there).

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. Figured it out. Very precarious positioning with hands and flashlight.
Then I discovered the VLED's I ordered do not in fact work. ugh
The wiring connector is different.
So now I am back to square one for new bulbs.

Is the 5K the best match to our headlights or 6K?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try shopping on xenondepot.com, by your year make and model truck. That’s what I ended up having to do to get led bulbs for my fog lights that have the same connector and wiring pigtail as my factory harness. Xenondepot was the only company that had factory matching bulbs for the GM’s if I remember right. A little spendy but well worth the price. I’ve my led bulbs in my fogs for two years now without a single problem.

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try shopping on xenondepot.com, by your year make and model truck. That’s what I ended up having to do to get led bulbs for my fog lights that have the same connector and wiring pigtail as my factory harness. Xenondepot was the only company that had factory matching bulbs for the GM’s if I remember right. A little spendy but well worth the price. I’ve my led bulbs in my fogs for two years now without a single problem.
I ended up going with these:
https://www.carid.com/2016-gmc-yuko...m-led-fog-light-conversion-kit-536046425.html
It appears 6000K is the best match and I wanted something with a decent lumen output.

Last edited:

Demer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the 5K the best match to our headlights or 6K?

I went with the 6k and I think it matches the headlights. Looks like you ended up going the 6k route as well, I don't think you'll be disappointed with them!

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For you electrical gurus, do I need to be concerned about going with a higher wattage bulb?
These are 25W. I am unsure what the OE bulb is but I am pretty sure it is not that high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo