Easy way to replace heater core?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

triker97

Reaction score
So I'm about to have to do the dreaded heater core, does anyone know any easy way to replace the front heater core without removing the whole dash or disconnecting everything and so on and so forth. I know this is going to take a good bit of time to do but I figured before I get started maybe someone can give me insight on a easier way that would save time and frustration

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are youtube videos of people doing this without removing the dash, the hack it up pretty good in there and I can't imagine it sealing well afterwards. Do it the right way. The dash has to be partly disassembled and them rotated out into the service position, not completely removed, to access the heater core. It's a good time to replace your actuators, doors and foam door seals while this is all apart.

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
There are youtube videos of people doing this without removing the dash, the hack it up pretty good in there and I can't imagine it sealing well afterwards. Do it the right way. The dash has to be partly disassembled and them rotated out into the service position, not completely removed, to access the heater core. It's a good time to replace your actuators, doors and foam door seals while this is all apart.
I have seen some videos of people just pulling the passenger side out to get to the heater box, I might just have to do it like that. On the rear controls, speed 2 does not work, only 1 & 3 work, would that be the actuator or the resistor? Sorry for all the questions but also when I have the front ac off but on front facing, not floor, I can feel air coming out, when I put it to floor, it stops. I know it's just redirecting it, but because I can feel it before I redirect it, would that be the foam door seals?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen some videos of people just pulling the passenger side out to get to the heater box, I might just have to do it like that. On the rear controls, speed 2 does not work, only 1 & 3 work, would that be the actuator or the resistor? Sorry for all the questions but also when I have the front ac off but on front facing, not floor, I can feel air coming out, when I put it to floor, it stops. I know it's just redirecting it, but because I can feel it before I redirect it, would that be the foam door seals?
that would be recirculation, and unless your heater core is leaking then it is likely not your problem at all
rear only working on certain speeds is probably the resistor BUT could be the control switch as well, you can take them apart and clean them but you have to be very careful the plastic gets brittle and will break with the slightest tension. inside it is a copper on copper contact and it get's build up on it and looses connection. you might have success opening it as much as you can to see inside and then find a spot to drill a hole in the plastic trim to aim some electronic cleaner inside and spray the contacts

OP
OP
T

triker97

Reaction score
that would be recirculation, and unless your heater core is leaking then it is likely not your problem at all
rear only working on certain speeds is probably the resistor BUT could be the control switch as well, you can take them apart and clean them but you have to be very careful the plastic gets brittle and will break with the slightest tension. inside it is a copper on copper contact and it get's build up on it and looses connection. you might have success opening it as much as you can to see inside and then find a spot to drill a hole in the plastic trim to aim some electronic cleaner inside and spray the contacts
Should've mentioned the front heater core is leaking that's why I'm replacing it, and I'll look up some videos on that just so I have a visual of where and what to look for

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If I was going in to mine to do that work, I may have to one of these days, I would want all the room so I could do the actuators and address any doors and seals while all apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo