Is there a way to open only the glass on rear hatch of 08 Denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Damnali541

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have googled and read the entire manual and cannot find a way to open just the glass of the rear hatch instead of the entire door... Is the glass handle just there for looks?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have googled and read the entire manual and cannot find a way to open just the glass of the rear hatch instead of the entire door... Is the glass handle just there for looks?

Hi Hannah, there are two methods. First there should be a button on your fob. The right one, not the bottom.

Second, there is a secret button to the right of the license plate. It's a rubber covered switch that does wear out, so yours being a 2008, it may have fallen off and needs replacing. This video shows where it is and how easy it is to replace:

s-l500.jpg

OP
OP
Damnali541

Damnali541

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Hannah, there are two methods. First there should be a button on your fob. The right one, not the bottom.

Second, there is a secret button to the right of the license plate. It's a rubber covered switch that does wear out, so yours being a 2008, it may have fallen off and needs replacing. This video shows where it is and how easy it is to replace:

s-l500.jpg
Awesome! Still learning new buttons and accessories for this rig even 2 years into ownership!
Thank you James! I must have a replacement fob that doesn't have that button.
Thanks for the tip on the hatch button though, mine is in fact missing so we work on replacing that.

OP
OP
Damnali541

Damnali541

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You could always use a BFH if you get real frustrated!
Ahhh very effective method there for sure, used it a few times on the tuff truck.
However... a little more of a permanent method than I was looking for in my daily with snow coming soon.
Thanks though!:D

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, RA is a great source for parts if you can wait. Did you use the RA 5% discount code? Here is one you can use and can still apply to order as long as not shipped yet. They have "help" info about that. There are threads here that RA supplies discount codes to all of us.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the right fob but I have a button spot on the hatch itself, but as @swathdiver mentioned it is missing.
Ordered a replacement on rockauto for $13... O'Reillys wanted $44 for the damn thing!
I just changed one on Lola. Watch a video or two first for some tips, it’ll take about 5 minutes to change it.

OP
OP
Damnali541

Damnali541

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea, RA is a great source for parts if you can wait. Did you use the RA 5% discount code? Here is one you can use and can still apply to order as long as not shipped yet. They have "help" info about that. There are threads here that RA supplies discount codes to all of us.

Dang! No I didn't and its already shipped, but that's good to know going forward. Thanks!