Is the Denali Hands Down the Best Tow Vehicle?

Better tow vehicle - Denali or 3.73 Tahoe?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking to update/upgrade my '02 Tahoe that now has around 215,000 miles on it. It is also a work truck so I don't want one too nice. It has the 5.3 w/ 3.42 rear end and I pull a 3000# car on an open aluminum trailer. (See profile photo) It is frustrating on the highway to have to be on the alert for any rise that will cause it to kick down from 3rd. I've read here that the 3.73 will go a long way in that regard but in 2 years of looking I've never run across a Tahoe w/ 3.73. Someone suggested a Denali, w/ 6.0, 3.73, air leveling, Stabilitrak, Autoride, and all the good towing options.

Today I ran across my first 3.73 Tahoe right here in town. It is an '06 w/130,800 miles, cloth in good condition (better than most leather), 5.3, LSD, tranny cooler, Stabilitrak, G65 "Nivomat" rear shocks, Bose for $9900 ask. It also had a "cold air" intake, Bully Dog, and a few other after-market things I could do w/o.

Assuming the air shocks are working on the Denali, is that always going to be the choice over a Tahoe w/ 3.73 for the same money?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you looking to stay with the gmt800? Have you considered a 2500 suburban or Yukon xl?

OP
OP
bldn10

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to stay w/ the GMT800 because I need a full, flat cargo area for plywood, sheetrock, etc.

The bigger ones won't fit in my garage.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote the 3.73 Tahoe because it has a selectable transfer case. The Denali has a 6.0 engine, but is AWD that can't be turned off. IMO, a better tow vehicle is one that can be driven in 2WD, it's easier on the drivetrain, and won't drink as much gas. There are 4.10 Tahoe's out there too, I have one.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going from an 02 to another NBS SUV, what specifically are you looking to upgrade, that you don't want to mod yours to improve? A little more power, a little more torque, trans shifts tuned up, This sounds like you just need a custom tune. While you're at it, do e-fans.... You really need to get more specific if you want better advice.

Pwrshft99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just my opinion but get the best of both worlds by swapping your high mileage 5.3 for a 6.0!!

I've only had my Tahoe a week but that's my long term goal.

OP
OP
bldn10

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing is, as I suggested above, I want to be able to put it in cruise at 74 and pretty much forget about it. Real hills, sure I need to back out of cruise, but it is so annoying when it kicks down to 2nd and screams going over even some overpasses.

What is more likely to alleviate that - a 6.0 or 3.73?

I see that I can get a 3.73 chunk for around $500, certainly less than an engine swap. Will a custom tune yield sufficient hp/torque w/o stressing the 5.3? What about the Bully Dog in the local 3.73 [rwd] Tahoe I mentioned above?

And, of course, there are other nit-picky things about mine that weigh in favor of something newer.

Thanks for the comments.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A tune will not stress out a 5.3. A tune is cheaper than both of those, and the tune will give you what I think is about 30hp and 30 lb ft of tq. The tune will also improve your shift points.

Just curious; so what problems do you have with it? What WOULD you change or what do you dislike, and I mean EVERYTHING.. (we can give you some ideas).
Only because your plan is to upgrade to the same thing, all that says to me is you are jumping into someone else's unknown problems, someone else's unknown history.... You know your vehicle. You know what is wrong with it. Unless you have completely neglected it and ragged the shit out of it harder than anyone would, and now have all of a sudden gotten a change of heart and want to take try again but take care of it this time. The one thing you have going for you with your vehicle, is you know where its at, and where its been.

Ksnell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If I was gonna pay to swap gears I’d go 410 if all towing. I went 4.56 in my reg cab 4x4 truck with 33” tires and it don’t hunt but stays Revved for sure but fun to drive. Diesel would fix your problem I have one of those to and was hoping the 456s would get me there in my gasser but it’s not even close. I went from 3.54s

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I agree with the things @adriver mentioned above about getting into someone else’s rig. It’s always a gamble as you don’t know what you’re getting into with another vehicle. I also agree with him on the point of AWD vs. 4WD transfer cases. Towing can be harsh on the drive trail components. With that being said, my 2006 xl Denali has far exceeded my expectations when it comes to towing. It’s an absolute rank. I don’t a whole lot. But when I do tow, my Denali handles it without a problem. My 6.0 only has three under-hood mods: a spectre cold air intake, a manaflow muffler, and an aftermarket trucool transmission oil cooler. But my Denali is also fully black bear tuned. Better shifts, torque management disabled, and all the goodies of black bears tune. And my truck has 3.73 gearing. It’s powerful and tows the 20 foot open boy sea ray speed boat that I wakebaording behind with ease. Mind you this boat weights close to 6,000lbs on the trailer. She’s heavy. Am I doing 65 or 70 up big long grades, NO! But it still keeps a steady pace without dropping into 2nd gear over hills and whatnot. So in my opinion a denali with a 6.0 and 3.73 gears is an extremely capable tow vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645