Is the Denali Hands Down the Best Tow Vehicle?

Better tow vehicle - Denali or 3.73 Tahoe?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Not sure what you mean about the Z71. They're no different than any other tahoe in that regard."

Except most are 4WD.

Well, James, seems like we've come full circle back to Denalis. Or a Tahoe engine swap.

If I can buy a clean 150,000 mile Denali for $6000-$8000 why would I bother w/ a swap?

You could get a 0 mile 6.0 engine and 4L80 trans for that price..

Not sure what drive you wanted, but you can get a 6.0 escalade in RWD or AWD. Heck, find one that's got a little body damage, and you can probably get it for a good price. I remember almost everyone I looked at was 3.73 (not sure if they all were, or not).

OP
OP
bldn10

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we established that the drive preference is RWD, 4WD, AWD, which moves Denalis down the list, all else equal.

To now I have not even considered Escalades because, well, they're Escalades. Not sure I can get my arms around that. But I just now found a 135,000 mile RWD Escalade in Tulsa (I'm in Memphis) for $8950.

I don't know what the Bully Dog does but I assumed it was a Black Bear rival and did the same things. Neither site tells me much.

Justin, what about this local 5.3 Tahoe w/ 3.73 and giving it a good tune?

OP
OP
bldn10

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“I have to stay w/ the GMT800 because I need a full, flat cargo area for plywood, sheetrock,etc.”

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not completely knowledgeable on the bully dog. Not sure if its a generic tune, or a completely custom tune (someone else probably knows, or see at the least which model it is). Its the handheld generic tuners that just kind of half-ass it and only do a slight improvement. If its a custom tuner, that allows you or a tuner to change parameters, then it all comes down to the tune. I can tell you that blackbear is a custom tune. They get the data from your specific vehicle. Tunes from about everywhere are $300-$600. The 6.0 has more torque down low, and a better transmission. That local sounds on the high end. I'm not sure if you are worried about the mileage or not, but even your 215K is nothing to be worried about.

OP
OP
bldn10

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to this forum I think I bought the best GMT800 tow truck! '06 1-owner Escalade w/ 72,600 miles, black w/ nice 20" chrome wheels, 6.0, 3.73, RWD, looks and drives like new. The only "downside" is that I bought as a double duty truck to replace my '02 Tahoe work truck and also as a better tow truck, but it is just way too nice to use as work truck.

rIGHTsIDE.75 .jpg

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to this forum I think I bought the best GMT800 tow truck! '06 1-owner Escalade w/ 72,600 miles, black w/ nice 20" chrome wheels, 6.0, 3.73, RWD, looks and drives like new. The only "downside" is that I bought as a double duty truck to replace my '02 Tahoe work truck and also as a better tow truck, but it is just way too nice to use as work truck.

View attachment 219646

That is a unicorn. Most GMT-800 platforms miles are through the roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep