is it possible/what would it take ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
wheatswake

wheatswake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really because i was thinking when my 4sp 4l60e (crap) eventally goes out i would like to swap for a 6sp besides re-programming (which i would think the dealership would do) what else would it take? trading in for a new one just for 6sp seems a little much not unless the swap cant be done

millercreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i really dont know how adventageous it would be. maybe if you were pulling stuff? my dad's pickup has the 6 speed tranny and it doesn't get any better mileage... 15 mpg. my 4 speed hoe averages 17 or better.

OP
OP
wheatswake

wheatswake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its just that i heard the 6sp is a very tough/good trans when mine goes out it would be nicer to have a better trans than before thats why i was asking is it possible and what does it take to make it happen

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
My dad's 2010 Sierra has the 6-speed, I really don't notice a difference but if I were you I'd just trade it for one with the 6-speed. You'd probably be in for one hell of a project if you swap.

OP
OP
wheatswake

wheatswake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
two people have said buy a newer tahoe . lol ok look i have a nice 08 ltz tahoe but dont make tons of money to just go and swap out for a one year newer tahoe to have a 6sp . i am interested in the 6sp for gas mileage and a tougher trans. i would think one would get better gas mileage due to the gear ratios . i have not reset my mpg for 20,000 miles and it is at 15.1 mpg average (that includes city and highway driving) . i read people saying they get better than 15 mpg but how long have they driven without reseting the mpg to 0 . i am sure if i reset mine and drive around for a 100 miles it will read better than 15mpg but that does not tell the real story . the 4 sp will go out some day (it is a fact) and it might be more cost effective to swap out for a 6sp trans than buy/trade for a newer truck and i am trying to figure out what all is invovled it might not be that hard all i can imagine is a different driveshaft(maybe) and a re-program . your gonna have to pay for a new/rebuilt trans either way

Last edited:

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
It is not worth the swap. There is nothing wrong with the 4 speed, it is just not as advanced as the 6.

OP
OP
wheatswake

wheatswake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol prob will in 70,000 to 100,000 miles

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

why is it not worth it exactly ? i am just wondering like i said i would think one would get better mpg with the 6sp due to the gear ratios

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700