Is buying a Tech 2 worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine Carl, take your time and don't rush while looking around. Do all the pre-tests to make sure everything is working and then have a look in the Fuel Pump Control Module. Go into F3 Vehicle Control Systems and let it run a scan on all of the modules. Note that some will be listed that may not be installed in your truck. This scan will show you trouble codes in each of the modules. After it runs, go into each module and see what the code is.

widetrackman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the confidance swathdiver. One thing I have not heard if a manual comes on a CD with the unit

widetrackman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not trying to get to far ahead of myself before I get the Tech 2, after running the module will it show if it is defective?

OP
OP
C

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the chance the play around with mine a bit...

05 Yukon: I can't seem to find how to reprogram keyless remotes with the Tech2... any help? I found a procedure that doesn't require the Tech2 but it doesn't program them for Driver Memory Control from what I understood (which is possibly how mine have been programmed because they both recall Driver 2 settings).
05 Yukon: Playing around changing tire size, in the BCM (IIRC) which I think would control speedometer/odometer readings it won't let me change tire size, says it cannot establish communication with the module, but programming ABS it will let me change tire size... ????
00 Buick: I cannot find where to change tire size at all (this is the one that actually needs it because I'm running a size bigger than stock), but I did find how to reprogram my keyless remotes (didn't do it yet bc my 1 remote must have a dead battery, it wasn't picking it up when I tried to program it)

Overall: I'm a little disappointed so far. The menu navigation is a bit difficult, it's almost overwhelming because there are so many control modules it can be confusing where to go to do what I want and the menus aren't always intuitive. The ability to actually make changes is very limited, at least in my Yukon. My 00 Buick I can do a LOT of things quite easily including DIC (Drive information center) changes that are very cumbersome to do through the dash. I'm almost wondering if I navigated to the wrong vehicle information when I hooked it up to the Yukon... I was able to do something, but other times it seemed like things I should have been able to do weren't there. IE, I got to the driver door control module and rolled the windows down with the Tech2 (would this troubleshoot a faulty door switch?), but couldn't establish communication to change tire size (to simulate a hypothetical change from stock tires and still get speed/odo to read correct).

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the chance the play around with mine a bit...

05 Yukon: I can't seem to find how to reprogram keyless remotes with the Tech2... any help? I found a procedure that doesn't require the Tech2 but it doesn't program them for Driver Memory Control from what I understood (which is possibly how mine have been programmed because they both recall Driver 2 settings).
05 Yukon: Playing around changing tire size, in the BCM (IIRC) which I think would control speedometer/odometer readings it won't let me change tire size, says it cannot establish communication with the module, but programming ABS it will let me change tire size... ????
00 Buick: I cannot find where to change tire size at all (this is the one that actually needs it because I'm running a size bigger than stock), but I did find how to reprogram my keyless remotes (didn't do it yet bc my 1 remote must have a dead battery, it wasn't picking it up when I tried to program it)

Overall: I'm a little disappointed so far. The menu navigation is a bit difficult, it's almost overwhelming because there are so many control modules it can be confusing where to go to do what I want and the menus aren't always intuitive. The ability to actually make changes is very limited, at least in my Yukon. My 00 Buick I can do a LOT of things quite easily including DIC (Drive information center) changes that are very cumbersome to do through the dash. I'm almost wondering if I navigated to the wrong vehicle information when I hooked it up to the Yukon... I was able to do something, but other times it seemed like things I should have been able to do weren't there. IE, I got to the driver door control module and rolled the windows down with the Tech2 (would this troubleshoot a faulty door switch?), but couldn't establish communication to change tire size (to simulate a hypothetical change from stock tires and still get speed/odo to read correct).
I ran into a similar issue this weekend when scanning my Silverado, turns out the vehicle selection for some vehicles is the 5th number in the vin instead of the 4th it was noted in the instructions I was reading online (a small note at the bottom of the document), tried that and walla chevy truck popped up on the menu

widetrackman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update on my order of Jul 11 for a Tech 2 from Chindacardiag. Just received Jul 16, 5 days including a week end amazing. Not to high jack the thread, my problem was that the front drive shaft had rubbed/frayed the FPCM harness cutting 5 wires (poor design) If you have 4x4 problems this is were to look first IMHO.

OP
OP
C

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran into a similar issue this weekend when scanning my Silverado, turns out the vehicle selection for some vehicles is the 5th number in the vin instead of the 4th it was noted in the instructions I was reading online (a small note at the bottom of the document), tried that and walla chevy truck popped up on the menu
I found, by pure coincidence, that keyfob programming for the GMT800 trucks (I'm pretty sure the GMT800 SUVs are in the same group) is done through the passenger door module (PDM), not the BCM... going to give that a shot when my wife gets home with the Yukon. I never would have imagined such a thing was in the PDM so I never looked there...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the GMT900s the remotes and tire pressure sensors are handled through the RCDLR module, the driver's door.

It saves a lot of time to have the shop manuals in pdf form. This way you can search and find out where stuff is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907