Is anyone running all-terrain tires in the stock size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tripreed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm still weighing my options when it comes to a leveling kit/new tires and was curious if anyone had pics of their vehicle running all-terrain tires in the stock size. Preferably with 20" wheels, but 18" would also be interesting to see.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following. I'm buying a 2015 Tahoe LT tomorrow and asked the dealer about swapping the 18" wheels with Goodyear Duratracs from a pickup they have. I like the look of the Z71 Tahoe's, but am on the fence about swapping wheels. Curious of the opinions here as I am new to the forum.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Some things I have learned when I was searching. You can choose 17, 18, 20 or 22 inch wheels. There are tires sized for each that have the same outside diameter. If you are looking for off road tire options stay away from the 22s. There are more options for the 20s but they are still plenty wide and the tread depth is less by 5/32s or so. The 18 inch tires are noticeably more expensive than either the 17s or the 20s. If I was shopping for the most off road capable setup I would run steel wheels with 17” Duratrac or Falken Wild Peak AT3w tires.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently run 18" all terrains on my Colorado (Silverado Z71 take off wheels). I agree that the 18" appears to be the most costly.

OP
OP
T

tripreed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wonder if the 18" end up being more expensive because they're E-load tires. A lot of the AT tires that come in the stock size for 20s (275/55R20) are SL or XL, which cost less than the E-load since they have fewer plys.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18" tires will end up giving you the most tread, they are usually a couple mm deeper than those you find in a 20" or 22" tire for sure. The E load tires will for sure be more expensive, but you can find those in a LT rated tire in a lot of cases. If you are actually going to off road the tires, the E-rated will have a much stronger sidewall and more resistant to a rock puncture on the side (also more towing capacity). However you will get a stiffer ride, more similar to a 20 or 22" tire and wheel combo. The 18" wheel and tire (with an LT rated tire) will ride a little softer because you have more sidewall to absorb the bumps as well. Just a few things to think about when you are looking for wheels.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have stock sized 18" Goodyear Duratracs.55db0de15343be2522355334bcafd825.jpg