Interstate Battery for 2018 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danjarrett1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just purchased a gorgeous 2018 Denali for my wife. I’m assuming the battery is an original battery, will check date code. I want to replace the battery with an Interstate AGM 840 CCA battery. Does anything need to be reset or “calibrated” at battery replacement or can I just replace as normal?

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone else will chime in to confirm but my 15 Denali was an easy swap. No recalibrating of any electronics

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to do this is buy an AGM at Costco or Sam's club. They do all the work free, you get a no hassle warranty that is good anywhere and as long as any, and when they hand it back you are done and ready to roll for years. Nobody does more batteries than they do. They know what they are doing...

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have replaced mine in my 2015 Denali. No reset or calibrating after installing.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AGM batteries have a different charging profile from lead acid. Not that it won't work OK in your vehicle for a while, but you may see shorter battery life and also may not receive a completely full charge from your alternator.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The k2xx trucks are not designed for the AGM battery. I was told this by a Cadillac expert that knows Escalades. I would get the AC Delco gold battery which is designed for your truck. They come with a 40 month warranty and sells for less than $170. You need a special charger for AGM. You can do research on google and see for yourself. Would you want to keep a battery for more than 40 months and spend $400? My original battery lasted 4 years and 5 months.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The k2xx trucks are not designed for the AGM battery. I was told this by a Cadillac expert that knows Escalades. I would get the AC Delco gold battery which is designed for your truck. They come with a 40 month warranty and sells for less than $170. You need a special charger for AGM. You can do research on google and see for yourself. Would you want to keep a battery for more than 40 months and spend $400? My original battery lasted 4 years and 5 months.
the Interstate AGM is around $160-170 at Costco I have one in my 18 and have had it in there for about 2 years now with no issues
I have also ran AGM's in all my other trucks since around 2006 and like all batteries of any kind they eventually go bad, the difference is a AGM will typically just start to get weak where as a typical acid battery will simply die and leave you stranded out of the blue.
I have 2 AGM's in my 2012 as well and another in my wifes 05, and one in my old 03 that I sold to my sister, I had them in my 00 as well
to answer the OP's original question, "maybe" it really depends but there are only 2 things that will typically need to be done.
1. is the drivers window if it needs to be recalibrated after a battery change or disconnect then you may get a message in the DIC saying it needs to be calibrated to do this all you have to do is push the window switch down and continue holding the button down for 5 seconds, then do the reverse and put the window up and continue to hold the button for 5 seconds. done.
2. the compass may show "CAL" instead of n/s/w/e in this case you just need to go out in a open area and drive in a few complete circles one direction and then turn around and drive in a few circles the opposite direction. done (sometimes you may need to do this a second time if the "CAL" comes back in the compass.

lbenson

Reaction score
I replaced my battery last year after it died on my 18 Denali. No issues after I replaced it and everything ran just fine. Think I paid a little under $200 for a battery from Napa and have no clue what brand it was at this point.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine with Everstart maxx. Same exact battery as the ac delco I removed, just different sticker. Nothing needed reset. Like a few have mentioned, I read that these trucks aren't the best suited for agm batteries because the way the charging system works.
I had to take a lot more things apart than some but I got it done

C8AFF447-1846-4203-8B55-F466F379FE65.jpegDBCAA5EF-86B6-47FE-BD32-62CAAB1680D9.jpeg365457AF-3C33-44D7-BEBC-4B515C9F463A.jpeg

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had to replace the battery in the 2015 Yukon, went with the Duralast Gold, nothing needed to be reset. But I will say this, the original battery did not have the handle on it and it made it a real PIA to remove. The new battery with handle made it much easier and dropped right in, $211.00 Total