Interior lights always on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skahide

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was given a 98 yukon with the tailgate. I'm trying to get it going as a daily driver.

The interior lights (dome, footwell, etc) stay on constantly unless I pull the courtesy light fuse.

The override button changes nothing.
The dimmer switch changes nothing.
All door and tailgate switches appear to be working fine (even though they dont change anything).

In addition, the buzzer sounds constantly when the key is in the ignition until I shut the door. It buzzes even while the yukon is running, until the door is shut.
I'm not sure if that is normal or not.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your 98 should have a push button on the door or door frame, when the door is shut the button is pushed in (therefore shutting off the interior dome lights) check that button for operation/continuity. unless I am wrong there should be a button and they didn't go to a integrated door latch until after 00

OP
OP
S

Skahide

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, the buzzer is only when the key is in the ignition (running or not), and the door is open.
Also, I went to the junkyard today and grabbed a headlight switch. It didn't change a thing.
Difficult but when I first read this I thought you had a bad headlight switch but then you mentioned the buzzer on constantly till shut the door. Now I think my guess is this ignition switch:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=96976&cc=1305076&jsn=2243

Again, just a guess.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, the buzzer is only when the key is in the ignition (running or not), and the door is open.
Also, I went to the junkyard today and grabbed a headlight switch. It didn't change a thing.

Well then I guess I am glad I didn't guess that then. I talked myself out of it. Maybe it is what Wes said and all related to that one little door jam switch.

OP
OP
S

Skahide

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is this the push button you're referring to? I haven't switched any out but I have gone 1 by 1 and make sure they were being fully depressed. Messing with them didnt change anything.
your 98 should have a push button on the door or door frame, when the door is shut the button is pushed in (therefore shutting off the interior dome lights) check that button for operation/continuity. unless I am wrong there should be a button and they didn't go to a integrated door latch until after 00

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the push button you're referring to? I haven't switched any out but I have gone 1 by 1 and make sure they were being fully depressed. Messing with them didnt change anything.
YES, you can pop it out and check it with a meter, if one or more of those are not working or are shorted that could be the problem

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's just a guess anyway, the buzzing is normal if the ignition is off, key-in and drivers door open, but shouldn't buzz with the engine running.

OP
OP
S

Skahide

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792

Latest posts