Interior lights always on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

TBaganATX

Reaction score
I have a 94 with the tailgate and it never fails if I go down a bumpy road it’s like a damn light show. Check the hatch glass switch. Mine is on the passenger side just above the tailgate. You will see a black switch that has a plastic but. Try adjusting that.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I had my 97 Yukon, I had a similar issue, and it turned out that the driver door jam push button switch was bad. Once I replaced it, my issues were resolved.

If you do remove the push button switch make sure that you grab a hold of the wiring that attaches to the end of it and secure it, prior to disconnecting it, as it has a tendency to spring back into the space behind the hole where the push button switch is mounted through. That happened to me, and I spent more time trying to fish the wiring back through the mounting hole, than I did for the rest of the entire push button replacement process combined.

Driveway Warrior

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my '99 Hoe, except that the problem was intermittent. Initial dealership found no problem EIGHT TIMES. (I was one ****** away from turning it back to GM in under the Michigan Lemon Law). A second dealership immediately found the problem to be the door switch, passenger side.

OP
OP
S

Skahide

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Difficult but when I first read this I thought you had a bad headlight switch but then you mentioned the buzzer on constantly till shut the door. Now I think my guess is this ignition switch:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=96976&cc=1305076&jsn=2243

Again, just a guess.

Well I have replaced both the front door jamb switches (pin) and still have the same issue. I've checked the rear doors and hatch switches and they are operating fine.
Out of curiosity, does the ignition switch assembly play any part in the dome lights? Id hate to spend $100 on a guess.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If the lights are set correctly the dome lights should come on when you open the driver's door and stay on till you start the engine and then go off if the door is already closed when you start the engine. If the door is still open and start it the dome light stays on. I believe the side interior lights stay on as well.

Has anyone mentioned the dimmer switch? If it is turned all the way up and one detent past all bright, the dome light comes on. Is it set to that all the time?

I read back and you said you replaced the headlight switch. Is the dash dimmer in the same switch or is the dash light dimer separate?

Now that I think of it I believe the dash light dimmer is part of the headlight switch. This is a tuff one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Skahide

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If the lights are set correctly the dome lights should come on when you open the driver's door and stay on till you start the engine and then go off if the door is already closed when you start the engine. If the door is still open and start it the dome light stays on. I believe the side interior lights stay on as well.

Has anyone mentioned the dimmer switch? If it is turned all the way up and one detent past all bright, the dome light comes on. Is it set to that all the time?

I read back and you said you replaced the headlight switch. Is the dash dimmer in the same switch or is the dash light dimer separate?

Now that I think of it I believe the dash light dimmer is part of the headlight switch. This is a tuff one.

The dome lights stay on constantly no matter the engine/door configuration, until I pull the fuse.

The dimmer switch is part of the headlight switch. Dimmer is turned all the way DOWN. I've tried with override button pushed in, and then popped out.

I did get the headlight switch from a junk yard, so it may be bad too. But it looked mint condition.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the diagnostic tables for a 98, maybe it will help

358d46c265984d67cc599b032073b212.plist

6ee081ec0e355abb175ba73d040c0b25.plist

7dcc95ff43431544db3a7d850d5822bf.gif

aa50348edfaf5be12ebd00054b20fb93.gif

01bb047cf9c987e2059ca148c7eea52c.gif

cb65fa785a67295fd294cd64adf2161f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads