Interesting Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back story...I have been shopping 2001 to 2002 Yukon XL Denali, for the ride quality, the viscous coupling for the AWD and because I love the look. I have looked at 2003-2006 XL Denalis as well, and for grins 2000 to 2006 Suburban and Yukon XL but they must be 4wd. I have not found a shortage of anything except the Yukon XL. I don’t really want a 5.3 so I have focused on the Denali. I would buy a Suburban or Yukon XL but they always have the 5.3 and I am not looking for a 2500 because ride quality is key here. I don’t need 4Low as this will be a highway vehicle traveling from Central Texas to the NM mountains and the AWD shines for snow. This 54 year old body wants comfort and the 5 protruding discs in my back require it.

For the record, I love the 5.3 and have had a few of them. As much as I love the 5.3 the 6.0 is IMO the best combination that GM put together. I have one that is about to spin over 314,000 miles, is still strong as an ox and purrs like a kitten.

Today I found a 2006 Suburban 1500 AWD LTZ with factory NAV, and a 6.0 under the hood. I know the 6.0 was an option as well as the AWD but it is the first I have seen and I have looked at a lot of vehicles. The dealer has not come through with a pic of the RPO codes but I did send GM Customer Service an PM with the VIN.

I am seriously considering this Suburban. My assumption is the same concerns with the AWD and front differential will apply. Being an LTZ is am assuming air ride or premium suspension and that is something I can fix myself.

Has anyone else seen one of these somewhat rare beasts?

Other than the front diff concerns is there something I am missing that I need check?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get impatient and have the VIN, pay $5 to compnine and they will give you all the RPOs for that VIN and possibly how many other trucks that year came with that particular option. What's the 8th digit of the VIN? I think they had either LQ4 or LQ9 engines. I think the LQ9 was for Denalis.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's truly a 06 LTZ, then yes it is a rare beast. It does have AWD, the LQ4 6.0 engine (NOT the slightly more powerful LQ9 that the Denali has) it has the 20" chrome "SS" wheels (same wheels as a 03-06 Silverado SS" and several other options that are exclusive to the 06 Suburban LTZ. They have a special grill that NO other trucks or Burbans had, it's color matched but just the very center bar on the grill is chrome. They also have the same style lower body cladding as a Suburban Z71, however the cladding is BLACK instead of the ugly gray color. Then it also has the same roof rack and step bars as the Z71, but instead of them being black like on the Z71, they are actually chrome.Well the roof rack is only half chrome actually. And then the exterior door handles, they have the same door handles that came on the Escalades, which is the paint matched handles with a chrome handle pull. And there are a few interior differences as well that differentiate the 06 LTZ from and other Suburban. The dash and door panels have a special "carbon fiber" type of finish on the instrument bezel and radio surround and on the door panel area around the power window switches.
I'm sure that are several other things I'm forgetting that are exclusive to the 06 LTZ. Search on Google and you will learn a bit more about it and find some pictures of Suburban LTZ's so you can see the exterior differences that I mentioned like the wheels, grill, cladding, and step bars.

OP
OP
SirReal63

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.0 is the LQ4 which I believe was up to 335 hp. It does have everything you describe Scott. The miles are higher than I want at 175k but high miles are the norm in Central Texas.

It has NAV but does not appear to have a backup camera, the interior is in excellent condition and it has the Captains Chairs in the back. I will wait for GMCS to do what they do on the RPO codes as I am no hurry.

938781661.jpg

Unicorn.jpg

mmeachem

Reaction score
The 6.0 is the LQ4 which I believe was up to 335 hp. It does have everything you describe Scott. The miles are higher than I want at 175k but high miles are the norm in Central Texas.

It has NAV but does not appear to have a backup camera, the interior is in excellent condition and it has the Captains Chairs in the back. I will wait for GMCS to do what they do on the RPO codes as I am no hurry.

View attachment 185439

View attachment 185438
Nice find, looks clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a winner. That driver's seat is clean. Saw one of these with the chrome roof rack a couple months back. Definitely a rare find. Good luck.

OP
OP
SirReal63

SirReal63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I see that is dirty is the exterior. The rest of the interior is clean. They radio buttoms only have one that is showing wear, I have seen many that are completely worn off.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

View attachment 185439

View attachment 185438

Yup. That's the 06 LTZ. There was just a thread about them a little bit ago... Can't find it now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia