Interesting Discovery Under Hood Fuse Box...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while running down a BO229 fault code on my 2005 GMC Denali I checked the under hood fuse panel (under the lid) and found what appeared to be a cup and a half or more of tiny bird seed/grass seed (tiny and black one side and light/white the other half) under the lid of that fuse panel/box...I wish I had taken a pic before blowing the mess out of there...

no signs of animal infestation, no signs of mouse or larger animal droppings and nothing else under hood that doesn't appear to belong there...

I've owned this SUV for a little over 2 months and this is the first I felt to check the fuse box under hood (under the lid) and it hasn't been out of my care since buying...

any idea how this much seed would find its way under the lid of the under hood fuse box???...

Bill

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
while running down a BO229 fault code on my 2005 GMC Denali I checked the under hood fuse panel (under the lid) and found what appeared to be a cup and a half or more of tiny bird seed/grass seed (tiny and black one side and light/white the other half) under the lid of that fuse panel/box...I wish I had taken a pic before blowing the mess out of there...

no signs of animal infestation, no signs of mouse or larger animal droppings and nothing else under hood that doesn't appear to belong there...

I've owned this SUV for a little over 2 months and this is the first I felt to check the fuse box under hood (under the lid) and it hasn't been out of my care since buying...

any idea how this much seed would find its way under the lid of the under hood fuse box???...

Bill
Mice or chipmunks. Believe it, they are in there.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bill
I would pull up the fuse block itself (the entire thing).

Four bolts on the corner bracket for an 05.

On the fuse panel, there are just two notches that you need to pull the base out for on the out-side. Then a couple tabs to pull out engine side. You don't need to disconnect wiring, and you don't need to be delicate in pulling it up and tipping it in. (If you really wanted to, for the first time, you could disconnect batt -, just in case something is damaged, but you should be able to see it). Check out the wiring under the panel. You might have something chewed through that you didn't notice yet wasn't working. You could have marks on the wiring, or even chewed though and exposed wires that NEED to be addressed. If it's been there a while, you're probably going to find some fluff, maybe the mouse that put it there.

OP
OP
SilverSport

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll see about taking out the fuse panel...a thorough check of the under hood and surrounding areas find zero poop or urine traces...no other traces of the "seeds"...nothing under hood looks damaged but I'll continue to monitor.

Thanks everyone

Bill

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had this happen twice. Caused damage. Just as an fyi, this is covered under most insurance under the comprehensive..

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
happened to me when i stored my sports car for the winter. Ended up blowing the motor..... not fun. now i tuck dryer sheets in there, seems to work.
In March of 2022 I retired from a self storage facility I ran for 9 years. I told all new tenants that to protect against rodents, scatter drier sheets in there and it does work. Replenish about once a year and all was good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660